Are you switching to Firefox?

Yes.
No.
I haven't decided.
I already have.
I don't know how.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 12/14/04 Are you switching to Firefox?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 12/14/04 Are you switching to Firefox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 12/14/04 Are you switching to Firefox?
by PhilMack / December 13, 2004 6:05 PM PST

I switched to FireFox on the advice of my tech because I was for ever being harassed by Web Pages opening up behind IE that I had not logged on to. Apart from the fact that my Internet Provider will only allow IE to be used to logon to check WebMail, and my Bank is not compatible for internet banking, I use FireFox for all surfing etc. I love it.I now have my husband and my friends using it.

Collapse -
by DarkHawke / December 13, 2004 7:34 PM PST
Collapse -
by Cronos / December 13, 2004 8:22 PM PST

I think you should write to your ISP and your Bank to make them aware you're using a navigator other than IE. They are obliged (or at least, they should be) to make their pages compatible with Firefox and other navigators.

Collapse -
by thepan123 / December 13, 2004 11:57 PM PST

I agree with you completely here! I hate IE due to it's many security problems. I fix many problems for my clients and suggest another browser such as Netscape 7.2 or other.

Don't you hate it when you go to a page and it's ONLY supported by using IE? Hell with IE!

Collapse -
by ArVeeGee / December 15, 2004 12:47 PM PST

Just one thing I notice is that FireFox was able to stop loading automatically exe file without suffering on strict security and privacy options but FireFox did well on this. Having it combined with new antivirus (fully updated) programs (I am not using mcafee and norton) surfing in some risky area is not a problem in most cases coz it can catch virus at the same moment and able to delete it!!!

Collapse -
Web sites that don't support non-IE browsers
by gopherbyrd / December 19, 2004 5:52 AM PST

Whenever I come accross a site that doesn't load correctly or flat out won't load on Firefox or Mozilla I will email the webmaster and suggest they consider writing their sites to conform to the WW3 standard if they want me to buy their product or use their service. This may mean nothing to them, but if enough people do this we can get sites to use conforming code. The biggest culprits are the sites that use that piece of crapware Frontpage to design their site.

Remember IE is just an exploit waiting to happen.

Collapse -
I do both IE and Firefox
by balert / December 20, 2004 11:15 AM PST

even though IE has all kinds of security problems, I haven't experienced any personally, so I don't feel the need to call it quit on IE just yet.
also, as firefox gains popularity you can bet that there will be security problems with it as well.
for now, I use both, if I need to quick surfing, I go with a firefox (no plug-in whatever) bcus it loads so fast.
for all my other use, I continue to go with IE.

~how cheap can technology be? like water from faucet? check out WhoSave.com

Collapse -
I am using them both and even others
by MichaelElfial / December 20, 2004 8:44 PM PST

In fact I am using IE alternatives all the time. At any given moment I have at least 3 browsers in active usage and I can say there is nothing that will make me call FireFox something new and advanced. It is the same old story built over the remains of Netscape as the previous Mozilla-s. Don't get offended but it is a lot of hum for just a new name and a few minor features. Of course it comes in the right time, but do you realy think Firefox is more secure than IE? I'd rather say it is yet not popular enough. The other side - IE offers object model which makes the pages actualy more than just pages, none of the other browsers do this. W3C standards - well both IE and FireFox deviate from them - just in different directions. Sometimes features open ways to do harmful things - that is true. And good documentation for developers makes this possibility even greater. Also do not forget the phsycological side of the problem - many of the virus and malware writters are Windows haters - they will just prefer to attack IE instead of any "Mozilla", but this changes nothing - it is just a name don't get confused by that - you have yet another Netscape in your hands - try it over pages that indeed use IE features and you will begin to realize, look deeper and you will agree. If you are going to get excited over such small things like the download manager, for instance, remember that it is unmeasureably small part of what one browser is. Hosting IE in custom application will give you almost everything of what you are deluded to like in this "brand new" browser. In this matter I'll rather say I admire Opera which has been written from scratch than FireFox or any Netscape derived browser.

Collapse -
Love it!
by tkdgirlms / December 14, 2004 7:22 AM PST

I've been using Firefox since my brother first told me about it in July and I won't switch back. If a site is not compatible with it, oh well, I just won't use that site. It blocks popups so well, I hardly notice them anymore. When I get a new computer at work, the first program I load on it will be FireFox!

Collapse -
So long IE, It has not been so nice to know you
by Earth1 / December 14, 2004 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Love it!

I have now started to install Firefox on all computers that I work on. I also install Adaware and Spybot, thanks to Cnet downloads.com. Thanks Cnet. You are really providing a very useful service to computer users. Now, when do you think we will be ready for Lynix????

Collapse -
FireFox
by blademan2cool / December 18, 2004 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: Love it!

FireFox is AWSOME! I don't use anything else. I use it all the time. I'm trying to find and see if they have a FireFox for my handheld pocket pc. That would be so cool. I wouldn't mind to see if they have something for my phone because I have a smartphone. That would be so awsome. Anyways. Yeah. FIREFOX IS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Firefox rocks!
by barrvanessa / December 16, 2004 12:45 AM PST

Thank goodness there is Firefox. I would be so behind in email and everything else if I relied solely on IE. I still use dial up and even on my brand new computer, Firefox blows IE out of the water.

Vanessa

Collapse -
by GRONDIN / December 13, 2004 6:22 PM PST

Yes !

This browser is more powerful than IE. More security, and free.

Collapse -
by howi / December 13, 2004 6:25 PM PST

Yes, I use both Firefox and IE. Can Lee Koo or somebody else please explain to me if I can save what I see in Firefox, in the mht format instead of html format? In mht format, everything is saved in just one file.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Howi

-----

Collapse -
by rbsjrx / December 13, 2004 11:31 PM PST

The only way to reliably copy a web site is to use mirroring software to preserve its structure. Fortunately, there's HTTrack which, like Mozilla & Firefox, is free. See <http://www.httrack.com>.

Collapse -
by howi / December 14, 2004 12:01 AM PST

14dec2004, 23:00

Thanks for the tip rbsjrx. actually i was only interested to find out how to save as in mht format instead of html format, for the webpages that i like. i do not actually need any special new software.

howi

Collapse -
by NeonNero / December 13, 2004 6:28 PM PST

No, I'm not switching to Firefox. In fact, I've already switched from IE to Opera, and I feel good about it.

Opera covers all my needs and then some, and I feel that I'm supporting a growing Norwegian business as well.

http://www.opera.com/

Okay, so it costs a little to get rid of the ads, but the ad banners don't intrude much either (wrap that up to banner blindness).

Collapse -
by John L / December 13, 2004 10:50 PM PST

I agree! Please read my post below, as I did that prior to posting this message. I have used Opera for some years now, and find it to STILL be superior to both IE and Firefox. For $39 it is the best investment you will make on your daily web surfing. Honestly!

Collapse -
by chinasmith / December 13, 2004 6:48 PM PST

Lee,
I gave FIREFOX a try. I vote thumbs down, as it
gives you zero options, when responding to an email.
I need a little more creative freedom. I can't
imagin why you like it. I used to use NeoPlanets'
TVGuide browser, but it is no longer available. So,
I'm now back with IE. Complimented with Yahoo's
Companion Toolbar with pop-up blocker and Anti-Spy,
I think IE has it way over FIREFOX.
China Smith

Collapse -
by DarkHawke / December 13, 2004 7:19 PM PST

Uh, what e-mail reply options are you looking for in your WEB BROWSER? Even if what you really mean to comment on is Thunderbird, the companion e-mail client to Firefox, I still don't understand the "zero options" comment. Could you explain that a bit?

Collapse -
by Helzundi / December 13, 2004 7:03 PM PST

I still run Win98SE as I have an old PIII machine. I won't be upgrading the OS until I build (or buy at the rate PC price's are going) my next PC. Haven't decided on XP or Mandrake yet. But that's all beside the point.
I run 98SE. I tried Firefox and Thunderbird for about 3 weeks. IE crashes my system fairly regularly (2 -3 times a day), but nothing like Mozilla's offerings. Firefox would BSoD my system every 15 - 20 minutes. Thunderbird was a little more forgiving, only crashing about every 30 minutes or so.
For me, I will stay with IE, atleast until I get a more powerful system and a more stable OS.
Cheers
Helzundi

Collapse -
by Cronos / December 13, 2004 8:37 PM PST

I'm running Win 98 SE in an old machine too, and IE crashed my system very often, but, unlike you, Firefox and Thunderbird work great! I've been using them for 5 weeks, and they haven't crashed the system at all (since they are not part of the OS).

Definitely, Ff and Thunderbird are the best for me.

Collapse -
by jerryrigger / December 13, 2004 9:43 PM PST

I noticed that you mentioned possibly switching to Mandrake in your post. If you are interested in trying Linux you might want to look at SimplyMEPIS. It's an amazing Linux distro with a great user support group (MEPISLovers). If you haven't heard of it already, you will, it's begining to get a bit of press (www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT315712364.html). I use Windows 98 on 2 other computers but have built 2 computers and installed Linux as an OS. I've been using SimplyMepis for about a month and think it's great.
Check it out at www.mepis.org.

Collapse -
by phulofpeace / December 13, 2004 7:08 PM PST

Of course and it's much quicker getting to web pages too!

Collapse -
Firefox user and loving it!
by DarkHawke / December 13, 2004 7:27 PM PST

Been there, done that, considering buying the t-shirt! Perhaps not the best choice for the casual user (you actually DO have to download and install a program, after all!), but I'm sufficiently spoiled by all the nifty extensions that I can't see even going back to the vanilla Mozilla browser, let alone any other. The tabbed browsing and controls thereof are seamlessly perfect. The form-filling extensions are actually BETTER than the built-in Mozilla function. And name me another browser that gives you jukebox controls on the status bar! You wouldn't think it would be THAT convenient, but it is! What more can one ask?

Collapse -
by bravadoca / December 13, 2004 7:30 PM PST

I have been using both Firefox and IE. Pages load much faster with firefox and I like it better than IE, but I need to keep IE around because some of the sites I visit do not work with any other browser except IE. For example, the site I go to for purchasing music for downloading ( bonfire.ca ) only works with IE. Other than that, Firefox is a better browser, IMO.

Collapse -
by lionroar / December 13, 2004 7:37 PM PST

I did find that Firefox didn't load all sites, so I use netscape, when that doesn't load then I'll use IE.
My most used browsers are Firefox and Netscape.

Collapse -
by dwmc / December 13, 2004 7:42 PM PST

Switched more than a year ago for security reasons. Have had very few problems. One or two sites (web conferencing) don't work but that's their problem as far as I'm concerned.

Collapse -
by gerryd / December 13, 2004 8:09 PM PST

no - I use slimbrowser by Flashpeak because it has many more features than firefox as well as interfaces to plugins like roboform. I am staying with the slimbrowser product and suggest you do another comparison. Slimbrowser with Firefox.

Collapse -
by MrLuick / December 14, 2004 2:25 AM PST

I agree. SlimBrowser is great and with the best features, besides, it doesn't have any conflicts with websites that require Internet Explorer.

The important advantage on Firefox is that it loads the websites way faster than SlimBrowser.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.