The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

12/03/04 How much RAM do you currently have in your main computer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 29, 2004 9:03 AM PST

How much RAM do you currently have in your main computer?

128MB or less
192MB
256MB
384MB
512MB
768MB
1GB or more
I don't know
RAM, isn't that an animal?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 12/03/04 How much RAM do you currently have in your main computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 12/03/04 How much RAM do you currently have in your main computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 12/03/04 How much RAM do you currently have in your main
by naess008 / December 2, 2004 7:17 PM PST

I have 768MB, although, admittedly, really for no better reason than that I can! (Three slots, 3x256). I am not sure that it made much difference to the performance of my computer (Pentium IV, 2.2MHz).

Collapse -
by Mr. Chan / December 2, 2004 8:24 PM PST

I am a big fan of Random Access Memory ( RAM ) as I am from Hong Kong where the majority of PC fans do not buy brands as HP,Compaq,IBM nor Dell. The norm is to custom made your PC at Golden Centre, Sham Shui Po where all the hardware are sold there. It is the Mecca of custom made PC and in Hong kong side, there are Wan Chai 130 and 298 located at Hennessy Rd. RAM are just like gold in HK as it fluctuates based on the supply and demand theory. During the summer vacation, the price of RAM will go up as more people are likely to custom made a new PC and RAM are the vital hardware. It is very common for an individual to own more than 3 PC in HK. RAM is just like horsepower or muscle, the more you have, the greater strength in your PC as software eats up lots of RAM. I am very surprised to know here in Canada, there are people still using 128MB RAM of 133MHz and on PIII CPU. Any PC fan overthere will install 512MB 333MHz RAM in his or her machine these days running P4 2.8GHz CPU a year ago. Perhaps it has to do with tax as being a Canadian is a tragedy as it has the highest tax in the world and HK is tax-free. PC fans there are willing to pay premium for Corsair, Patriot,Geil and Kingston brands. Other brands are considered to be inferior though they are okay in quality. I have 8 desktops ranging from 512MB to 2GB RAM. 3 BenQ notebooks all have 512MB RAM. The bottom line is the more RAM in your PC, the more strength it will have and therefore it is unlikely to see your PC " Hang" or " Down". Keep in mind, there is a difference between CPU and RAM while the former means speed and the latter means muscle or strength. If you have lots of freeware downloaded from the web-sites or plenty of software that you paid for; chances are you need 1GB RAM as a minimum. By the way, the RAM sold in Vancouver are cheap brands as you will be amazed to see the merchandises if you ever visit HK. PC are like fashion there and the competitions are very keen. The mainstream is people are more pro to RAM than CPU there. In general, the motherboard only has four slots for RAM. It can be 256MBx4=1GB or 4x1GB=4GB. Therfore, 512MB of RAM is considered to be acceptable. Don't you think so? Lucky you in the States where you pay 9% GST the most where we make less than you and pay higher tax, we call it quality of life, ha,ha ha. Windows XP Professional here is C$ 449.99 plus 14% GST for your reference and the minimum wage is C$ 8.00 an hour. If one buys stuff from the States, subject to 60% Custom Duties.

Collapse -
Re: 12/03/04 How much RAM do you currently have (Mr.Chan)
by explorer5146 / December 2, 2004 11:52 PM PST

Would like to say thanks to Mr. Chan for a glimpse of life in HK. That was interesting. Personally, my box has 1 GB of PC2700 @ 333mhz ram with coolers on it.
I also realized a nice boost in performance on my older PIII going from 256mb to 512mb. Shouldn't be too long before we see the 'solid state' hard drives, Eh?

Collapse -
by fiveamrunner / December 3, 2004 4:46 AM PST

Wow... Sounds like Hong Kong is the place to go. Since I just moved to Australia from the USA, its kinda like right next door now. And by the way, I have a 2.8 Ghz P4 with 1 Meg of Ram. I agree with the esteemed Mr. Chan. 1 Meg is the minimum you need.

Collapse -
by tainian2000 / December 5, 2004 1:21 AM PST

I installed additional ram from 128 to 768 in my laptop. on the desktop it has 512. However, I read about the ram issue in pc's and LT's and it is that although you can install it, you need to reconfigure windows 98 (XP too?) to use the additional ram. the reason is that windows uses a default amount of ram or that your machine needs to be checked to see if it did updated its ram configuration.
Anyway when I took my pc to the shop they reconfigured it and it look like a race car flying. I had to get them to lower it. Since I download everything and anything on a one of the recent crashes it returned to its original conservative settings. I don't know how to configure it back. Can you please let me know the howto of this Ram setting on PC's and LT's.?

Collapse -
by seaside / December 12, 2004 1:38 AM PST

Ram speed is set in bios, and they sometimes switch to more conservative settings after crashes.

But I would consult the mainboard manual before alter any setting there.

Collapse -
by Doironsv / December 2, 2004 7:47 PM PST

2 GB-4x512 mb,P4 2.8GH,Sony Vaio...super fast!!!

Collapse -
by skooterfd / December 2, 2004 8:30 PM PST

I have 512, 2 X 256, on an older computer. 800mghrtz PIII now sporting XP with an 80gb hard drive, 20" LCD monitor - HDTV compatible W/ntst TV built in. Should be good until Longhorn is up and running! I'm Waiting Bill, Can you hear me out there?

Collapse -
by sildar / December 2, 2004 8:38 PM PST

I also have 768, I built my main PC last year, first time
I'm using an Athlon chip, and I installed as much into my pc as was possible at the time. I very happy with it at the moment, but will probably build another and upgrade this machine by the end of next year.

Collapse -
by donhole / December 2, 2004 8:45 PM PST

In my Pentium 3 system I had 1Gb of DDR 2100 RAM. To those who haven't thought about this little detail in their system makeup really should. My P3 was only a 933MHz but it smoked the 2.4Gig Celeron Dell system my friend bought new. Needless to say he was rather chagrined. I am now into a 3.2GHz P4 system with only 512 megs of DDR400 RAM and I can tell you this system will really smoke when I get the 2 Gigs of DDR400 the motherboard will support. Not only that I have found that the more RAM you have the smoother your system runs and fewer program faults due to memory lag. Atleast that was what caused the most headaches for me with my system faults.

GET ALL THE RAM YOU POSSIBLY CAN ON YOUR SYSTEM. That's my two cents worth though this may have ranged a little far afield of what the response was asked to be. Have a good one

Collapse -
by oldcoot / December 10, 2004 8:21 AM PST

I have 1 gig on a home built P4 3.2ghz twin Intel Prescott, xp pro. With a raid game system it is the minimum. Any less and your wasting your speed.

Collapse -
by mailbag / December 2, 2004 9:23 PM PST

I have 256 ram on my computer

Collapse -
by Hir8ed / December 2, 2004 9:31 PM PST

1 Gigabyte in all of my computers. Not just the amount but the quality of the ram is also very important. I use Crucial and Kingston ram. With the work I do I need a lot of ram and the CPU power to do the job that's why I go no less than an AMD 64 3500+ and 2 P4's one being a 3.4 Prescott the other a 3.6 Presott.

Collapse -
by noureldin / December 2, 2004 9:44 PM PST

1024 MB

Collapse -
by snharden / December 2, 2004 10:05 PM PST

In 1997 I bought a computer. It was a Pentium 2 with MMX 166 MHZ processor and 16 whopping MB's of ram and a 2 GB hard drive. The guy at the computer store said it was more than I would ever need. It was the biggest baddest mother on the block.

In 1999 I bought a AMD 333 Mhz with a whopping 48 MB's of ram and a 3 GB hard drive. It too was the biggest baddest mother on the block.

In October 2004 I bought a Intel Celeron 2.8 Ghz with 256 MB of ram and a 120 GB hard drive. Upped the ram to 512 MB and again recently upped that again to 1 GB of ram. And even got a DVD burner and other goodies.

Strangely I no longer know if its the biggest baddest mother on the block anymore. How long until its like my old pokey 166 mhz? Only the next few weeks will tell I guess.

I can still add another GB of ram.........LOL

Collapse -
by funkid7 / December 2, 2004 10:43 PM PST

Actually the biggest and baddest, that can still fit on your desk; can cost 10 to 12,000 U.S. bucks! Dual PentiumXion processors, liquid cooled also! Video graphics goes way up and beyond my understanding. They run an all different Operating sys. designed specifically for graphic design and animation stuff.

Collapse -
by matt5112 / December 5, 2004 1:31 PM PST

lol theres a graphics card with 640 megs of video mem its a 3dlabs wildcat 800
it costs too much and wildcat 200 is $1500 lols i ahve 512mb PC-400 i don't understand y ppl get PC-333 when they can get PC-400 which is alot faster

Collapse -
by sougatooo / December 2, 2004 11:43 PM PST

You are absolutely right. With each passing year there crops up new configurations, applications and programmes which demand higher RAM. For the past two years, I'm using P4,1.6GHz, 512MB RAM. Recently, I installed an HP PSC all-in-one which recommends 256MB RAM for smooth function. Recent games also are RAM hungry and now it seems that a minimum of 1GB is necessary to run all the programmes smoothly without hanging.

Collapse -
by rickp227 / December 2, 2004 10:11 PM PST

I have 512MB on both my computers. They run very well, one is a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, the other is a three year old Dell L800R PIII 800MHZ box that still runs very well.

Collapse -
by toonspire / December 2, 2004 10:46 PM PST

I have a ME HP PC with
128 mgb ram, 40 mg hd, 800mg hz proc...
When I get my new PC/Laptop
it will have at the least 1.0 GH Ram!
OH YEAH!

Collapse -
by 2late / December 2, 2004 11:16 PM PST

I have but a meazly 256MB RAM on a 500Mhz Piii. Just bought a 120GB hard drive, which helped, but the thing still manages to freeze up when I'm surfing!

I have a lot of programs installed, notably audio recording software (Steinberg Cubase VST 24). We also do a good bit of scanning and PictureIt stuff. Am I asking too much of my machine?

Collapse -
by matt5112 / December 5, 2004 1:34 PM PST

ur asking WAY TOO MUCH i find lagg with 512megs of PC-400 i ahve a athlon xp2400+ with a 40gb HD ati radeon 9800 pro modded into a 9800 XT ( lol u can do that u know) i'm getting another 512 mb stikc so i can have 1gb dual channel
eventually i will get 2x 1GB dual channel kit

Collapse -

I have in my main computer 512MB Ram

Collapse -
by Zager / December 3, 2004 5:08 PM PST

Hi all.I live in Sweden where the price of electronics is extremely expensive so I do the majority of my purchases in the USA considering the present state of the dollar and my frequent visits to the USA, my stationery computer is a 2.8 P4 With 1gb ram I also have a Compaq Presario r3000 with 512 mb ram +128mb graphic card it is a p4 2.66, one thing that has been puzzling me is the laptop shows up as 640 ram, but this does not happen on my station computer does anyone know why.

Collapse -
Reply to Zager on 640MB ram.
by Mr. Chan / December 15, 2004 3:28 PM PST

Hello Zager, I believe that you have 2x256MB=512MB plus 1x128MB in your PC which add up the total of 640MB of ram. Or it could be 1x512MB+1x128MB=640MB. Most likely I believe it is the latter if your PC is a laptop as someone installed one 512MB or it came with one 512MB ram, then later either you or someone installed another 128MB instead of 256MB ( 512MB is the best performance )ram into your PC. Most laptops can accomodate 2GB of ram ( 1GB each as it has only two slots). So I believe 1 slot has the 512MB and the other slot has the 128MB which adds up to 640MB of ram. I hope you are geting this message as it is a bit late to tell you now as it is almost the 16th December, 2004.

Collapse -

Mine (Compaq S3000V) had 512 when I bought it, and I went to 768. After reading some of the replies to your question, I will soon upgrade to 1Gb! I only have two RAM slots, so unless someone comes up with a 1024 RAM, I'm
limited to 1024Mb.

Collapse -
by matt5112 / December 5, 2004 1:36 PM PST

OCZ has 1gb sticks u didn't know that ur limited to 2 gb therietically but ur northend chipset prob limits it to less

Collapse -
by jmaldonado / December 3, 2004 12:00 AM PST

At office: HP d330D / P2.4Gh(533) / 512mb / Intel856video (PC having "lag" problems when try to perform some actions)
At home: Biostar P4VTG (mobo) / P2.4Gh(800) / 512mb / FX5200-128mb (great performance)

Collapse -
by Shantj / December 3, 2004 12:09 AM PST

I have a HP system that I just put in to a new case with a larger power supply, but had I been on my toes I would not have gotten it, for it was only up grade able to 512 meg's of sd ram. The system isn't bad on the other end as far as the cpu it's a 1.2 gig with a clocking speed of 1200 mhz rather than the 800 mhz of other system, also it runs better now that I have it in the new case with the 540 watt power supply. What the computer came with is a 150 watt power supply. ButI feel more is better, more ram and a faster CPU is all ways better. The new mother board I'm looking at will be up grade able to 3.2 ghz with a full 3gig's of DDR ram. Never Winter Nights the game takes a lot to run well.

Collapse -

One Gig, seems fast enough for my computer but never fast enough for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.