Computer Help forum

General discussion

11/12/04 Feedback - membership Newsletter redesign

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 10, 2004 7:42 AM PST

Well folks,

Let me know what you all think about the newly redesigned newsletter. Any feedback is appreciated and a big hats off to our design and tech team!

I'm all ears, so please chime in.

Thank you in advance for all the feedback!

-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 11/12/04 Feedback - membership Newsletter redesign
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 11/12/04 Feedback - membership Newsletter redesign
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 11/12/04 Feedback - membership Newsletter redesign
by otonlc / November 11, 2004 3:43 PM PST

I think, that you made your point. The site is realy better. And more organized.
Thank you for yours good work.

Collapse -
by jauntne / November 11, 2004 3:45 PM PST

The layout is fine, not much of a change. The background of the letter is a light gray and that doesn't work well with white letters, extremely hard to read. I had to highlight that area to be able to read it.

Collapse -
by lakelady1104 / November 11, 2004 9:54 PM PST

I turn off the graphics in my email account and the white letters on dark background don't work well...looks great otherwise.

Collapse -
by wycanhow / November 11, 2004 5:01 PM PST

The new design is attractive and eye-catching. But I have a problem: the radio buttons and 'Vote' button in Quick Poll section are not working - radio buttons cannot be chosen, nothing happens when I click the 'Vote'. Hopefully these will be fixed in your next newsletter.

Collapse -
by dennis smith / November 13, 2004 12:46 AM PST

Let me guess...you receive this newsletter in hotmail, right? Assuming that is the case, here is what I can tell you:

Hotmail has recently changed their format in such a way that it doesn't render our polls properly. Our engineers are working to fix the problem quickly, and we are hoping that next week there will be a solution in place.

While I can't endorse one email client over another, I can tell you that the poll works properly in yahoo mail and GMail. Although in GMail, one will have to hold the control ('ctrl') key while clicking through, or it won't allow pop-ups, which is how the poll results are rendered. If there are other problems of this newsletter in email that we haven't addressed, let's hear from you!

So as they use to say back in the day: do not adjust your set. the problem is all ours, and we will fix it ASAP (I had to use an acronym since it's the focus of this week's poll!)

Dennis Smith, CNET Community

My apologies for the problem.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 11, 2004 5:20 PM PST

Hi Kees,

A very good new design. Well done to the team.

I do have a question though, about the message board email address.

When I click on it, (eg to send in a reply to next weeks, "Question of the week"), my email client opens up without a Send to address.

When I check the link, all I see is;

http://ct.com.com/click?q=c2-oXSLQUEOqh6UmisokyprTuFzxO2t

Is there an error here? Or perhaps it is my own email client that is at fault.

Mark

Collapse -
There was an error made on that, this will be corrected
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 15, 2004 5:19 AM PST

in future newsletters. Thanks for the heads up Mark.

-Lee Koo
CNET Community

Collapse -
by cnorthernlady / November 11, 2004 8:55 PM PST

I really like it...
The color scheme is easy to read and the changes to the layout are very professionally presented. Great work.

Collapse -
by butter / November 11, 2004 9:05 PM PST

I just wanted to say that I think that the site is very clear and organized better.
I love the work that you all do here.
This is a Great Site and I want to Thank You.

Collapse -
by Stavros / November 11, 2004 9:24 PM PST

Congratulations! Great New Look!

Collapse -
by Badotz / November 11, 2004 9:48 PM PST

I *hate* the yellow background - it is simply awful. Isn't there some way to tone it down a bit?

Collapse -
by Pamatu / November 11, 2004 11:58 PM PST

Lee -- Before retiriing, I was an advertising professional. Way back at the beginning of my career, we learned that using "reverse" type (white on black) was not as legible as black on white or, even better, black on yellow. Of course, if everyone did that many messages would look the same. But you've gone one more step downhill. You've superimposed the reverse type over bars of different colors -- which is very taxing to the eyes. This applies only to your personal message at the very top, Lee. Suggestion: if you want to continue to use the reverse type in a panel to differentiaate it from the balance of the newsletter, how about using just one background color -- preferably continuing to us a dark one.

Collapse -
by jayda / November 12, 2004 12:46 AM PST

The newly redesigned newsletter is fantastic!

Collapse -
by dannyg / November 12, 2004 1:26 AM PST

Outstanding new webpage, really like it. Lot easy to use. You really make life a lot easyier. Mahalo (Thank you) dannyg

Collapse -
by patriciatorreslacerda / November 12, 2004 1:36 AM PST

I like it very much. It really made easy for us to find what we want.

Collapse -
by JKBMGB / November 12, 2004 2:16 AM PST

Okay, but the white on dark green background is more difficult to read. Maybe a bold arial font or similar would be better (for me)
JB

Collapse -
by mellital / November 12, 2004 3:00 AM PST

I find the white type on a green background very hard to read.

Collapse -
by Popi / November 12, 2004 3:18 AM PST

The redesigned newsletter is better reading for me.

Popi

Collapse -
by rebenolan / November 12, 2004 4:15 AM PST

I like your new profile very much - it's easier to read and understand. I am a member of a SeniorNet group which teaches computing skills to senior citizens and we are all appreciative of the advice offered by your Newsletter.

Collapse -
by kattboots / November 12, 2004 9:29 AM PST

Have not checked out the site much yet, but had to write a quick note about that bad pic comment... NO picture with that big and nice a smile could be a bad pic... keep it up Mr. Koo! Katt Wilson

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you Katt :-)
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 15, 2004 5:21 AM PST
Collapse -
by Nosie002 / November 12, 2004 10:23 AM PST

VERY WELL DONE I LIKE IT BETTER THEN THE OLD ONE

Collapse -
by acrishozmad / November 12, 2004 12:31 PM PST

I think I like it more now. And I continue finding good information. Congratulations to you and all the team members. See you...

Collapse -
by vladimirtamarez / November 12, 2004 7:42 PM PST

This design is excellent. I have read some issue about the troublehooting, the explanation is very easy to understand. Good web site and design.

Cordially,

Vladimir Tamarez

Collapse -
by gimpette / November 13, 2004 3:03 AM PST

Yes!! Bright, warm, and friendly....great job!

Collapse -
by dclevenger / November 13, 2004 12:42 PM PST

It is extremely boooooorrrrrrring. Does not make me want to read it. If it HAS to be text only, please don't use the dastardsly Times Roman. It's harder for the human eye to read. Try Arial.

Dottie

Collapse -
by dennis smith / November 13, 2004 11:22 PM PST

The newsletter can be recieved in either text or html. To change your preference, log in to the CNET Newsletter Subscription Center at http://nl.com.com/mini_login.jsp and change your email delivery format

Collapse -
by Ferdron / November 13, 2004 5:06 PM PST

Lee I personally think you have done an outstanding job.I know someone said the white on green makes it hard for them to read.The fact is you cannot please everyone.But if the majority is happy then it a good relief.Thanks Lee with your crew you've done a great job.

Collapse -
by minhpham / November 15, 2004 1:04 AM PST

Hello Lee Koo,

You look so cool with sweet smile.
I love the new look and design color of the newsletter format. The questions and answers columns are very clear to follow. I wish you include the search box so we can do a quick search for the specific topic or problem about the computer technologies stuff. I know I asking too much, but for the new member, it is helpfull to goback to some of the questions or answer that had been posted long time ago. Thank you for your team efforce and youself, we always need some one like you guys all around every day. Thank you, Thank you Thank you.................

Minh

Collapse -
Minh, you asked, you got it... here's the link
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 15, 2004 5:23 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.