TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

1080p LCD HDTV to PC (DVI-HDMI, VGA inputs)

by omalleycm / August 15, 2006 4:18 PM PDT

Well with all the 2006 models hitting shelves around this time true 1080p sets are becoming more and more available. It's still early in the game and waiting for reviews is getting rather annoying given I want some answers so I can go out and buy my set.

1. I would like to know if anyone out their has a true 1080p set (1080p/60 input accepted) and has connected there computer to it? if so are you getting the full 1920x1080 resolution successfully? and what connection method are you using?

2. Samsung advertises that they DO NOT support DVI to HDMI cables for their TV sets. I have read that many people have and others have no troubles hooking up this way. So it's a grey area... Has anyone connected there computer to their 1080p set via a DVI to HDMI cable and got a successful 1920x1080 resolution?

I'm currently looking at Samsung's LNS-4096D or Sony's new KDL40XBR2 LCD set both support 1080p inputs. The problem is I want to know that I can get 1920x1080 resolutions for future gaming on my pc when I upgrade.

Samsung is saying they don't offer support for DVI to HDMI that leaves me with the VGA connection (witch I'm not fond of, My LCD monitor was blurry when I used that connection via DVI out on my video card).

Sony on the other hand only supports the VGA input to a max of 1366x768 resolution. So their ''true 1080P'' sets are really not FULLY 1080p compatible.

If anyone has any experince with these models or any similiar models with 1080P specs please share your information and experience. I'm really not in the mood to buy a set and only have to return it because it dosn't do what I specifically bought it for.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1080p LCD HDTV to PC (DVI-HDMI, VGA inputs)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1080p LCD HDTV to PC (DVI-HDMI, VGA inputs)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1080p LCD HDTV to PC (DVI-HDMI, VGA inputs)
by jcrobso / August 17, 2006 3:04 AM PDT

There is NO 1080p/60, at least not yet!!!! May be 5-10-15 years down the road.
Bandwidth is the problem!!! Current HD formats 720p, 1080i etc, need 45 to 50 mega bit bandwidth. 1080p/60 needs 145 mega bit bandwidth. If you want to pay $50,000+ for your HDTV you can try to buy a prototype.

HD-DVD/BRay is 1080p/24, the same as movies.
1080 currently comes in 1080i/60 and 1080p/24 and 1080p/30.
My CRT-RP will do 1080p/24 when using a PC DVI connection and playing a WMV encoded DVD.
2. " Samsung advertises that they DO NOT support DVI to HDMI cables for their TV sets"
This means that if it works, great, if it dosen't work don't call them. My Samsung CRT-RP, per the book is not for PC use, but it works fine. It looks better on 720p vrs 1080 for PC usage. With WMV encoded DVDs I have watched them at 720p and 1080p/24, It is very hard to tell the difference.
When using a PC you may have the change the refersh rate to get good picture.
Remember 1080p means that it will support HD-DVD/BRay 1080p/24, Thats ALL it means. John

Collapse -
Samsung works great with HDMI
by zipityzap / February 11, 2009 5:40 AM PST

I'm using an HDMI cable from my PC to Samsung HDTV. Looks great, but it's a 720p set.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.