The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

1000th episode ideas

by acedtect / March 19, 2009 3:39 AM PDT

Hey all,

Here's what I'm thinking for the 100th episode, but I'd like your thoughts.

We start with Molly, me and James Hilliard if we can get him to open the show. We bring in Mark Larkin (EP) if possible and talk a bit about how it began, Maybe even bring in Candy Meyers. Talk about how the show came about. (5 minutes)
We then bring in Veronica (or start with her if James is unavailable) Talk a bit about how the show took off during those first two years. Play some bits from those times. (10 Minutes)

Then bring in Jason and Natali talk about how the show changed with the addition of live streaming and the chat room. And do some looking forward. (15 minutes)

THEN we start the real show and rotate in special guests talking about some of the news of that day. We limit the stories to maybe 6 or 7 and try to get a guest for each one. The guests should be taken from our rotating hosts as well as non-CNET folks. (20 minutes)

Then instead of voicemail and email, we do maybe three live calls with listeners (20 minutes)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1000th episode ideas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1000th episode ideas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Love it!
by Fe1d / March 19, 2009 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: 1000th episode ideas

Wish I had something more constructive to add, but this plan sounds spot-on!

Collapse -
No Molly?
by MissM- / March 19, 2009 3:45 AM PDT

I didn't see Molly mentioned specifically, and so I'm asking that she be included. She's a huge part of the BOL history, and Natali is a big part of the future, of course! She brings a street cred to the show that teaches me things every week! Happy

MissM

Collapse -
It does say Molly at the begenning
by ppratik96 / March 19, 2009 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: No Molly?

It says "We start with Molly, me and James Hilliard if we can get him to open the show."

So I am guessing Molly will be on the show.

Collapse -
Suggestion
by stringboy / March 19, 2009 3:46 AM PDT

Going for the golden oldie route is fine, but why not add johnstrickland or or gknee to the stream? Let us hear the voice of the people!

Sorry, about the "voice of the people" crap, but I am getting nervous about the government's package stimulating me.

Collapse -
(NT) What order do you want me in the show? :D
by kwahhn / March 19, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes!!
by surfpark / March 19, 2009 3:51 AM PDT

Listen SCOTT... We want to hear EVERYONE that was involved with BOL from the day it was a random thought all the way to the present. I want it long, detailed, and explain the science behind the show. Think Discovery Channel meets NOVA. Tom's plan is awesome. We've been listening for 3+ years! INDULGE US.

Collapse -
(NT) SSWA
by Fe1d / March 19, 2009 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes!!
Collapse -
I like those ideas
by Crapricorn / March 19, 2009 3:55 AM PDT

Actually, I'd like to hear how it all started. I've never had the time to go back and listen to the first episodes.

If it runs long, I don't care. It's taken quite a while to get to 1000, so if you run long every 1000 episodes, I'll be fine.

I really like the idea of live calls with listeners, too.

At some point, a "highlight reel" from the past shows would be really nice, too. That will take (Jason) a lot of work.

Collapse -
Thanks
by raygun01 / March 19, 2009 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I like those ideas

Thanks... thanks a lot Crapricorn.

Collapse -
(NT) 100% agreed
by robstak / March 26, 2009 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I like those ideas
Collapse -
I like The idea!
by ppratik96 / March 19, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

I think its a great idea! I also think u should stream it at cnettv.com so more people will watch it! I think it would be cool if u had a bunch of contests just to make it more interactive with ur audience. Also this might be a little hard but it would be cool if u could announce the winners of bol bingo. This last thing is probably not likely to be done but it would be cool if u could customize the layout of watchbol and bol.cnettv.com just to make it look a little cooler. Well thats the only things i could say but i am open to any other ideas!

Love the show,
Pratik from Kansas

Collapse -
Stream 1000 on CNETTV
by rgunther / April 26, 2009 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I like The idea!

I like Pratik's idea about streaming the video feed on CNETTV rather than just the WatchBOL site. It should find more traffic that way. Just remember that many <b>listeners</b> may not have access to or interest in the video feed--so avoid content that doesn't translate well to audio.

Collapse -
Sounds chaotic
by plusrich / March 19, 2009 4:37 AM PDT

I want to hear the BOL origin story.

If I had to "skip a bit brother", I'd still do the
news at the end, but not with a different guest host
for each story. Sounds logistically challenging although
it's cool to try to include them in some way.

Just do the news with the folks who have been full members
of the show. That'll be enough chaos right there. Happy

+Rich

Collapse -
I agree
by amandafrench / March 24, 2009 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds chaotic

I agree with Rich -- I'd really love the "origin story" (innocent journalists working late in the lab at night undergo horrible nuclear accident that turns them into podcasters?), but I don't think it's necessary to bring in one guest host per news story. I'd say instead just have all the old & current (regular) hosts -- that'll be a roundtable of about 6-7 people, right? So that's doable.

I do love the listener co-host bits, too, so yay that. I like it when the listener co-hosts get to actually talk about the news, either the current day's news or their favorite *kind* of tech news story or whatever.

Can't wait!

Collapse -
1000th episode ideas
by psych4 / March 19, 2009 4:39 AM PDT

sound as though well planned out...
but rotating guests might make them dizzy Happy

Collapse -
Sounds great!
by KatoKatonian / March 19, 2009 4:57 AM PDT

Looking forward to it. In terms of guests, can I suggest Leo Laporte, John C. Dvorak, Ryan Block, and Patrick Norton, all who have been great when they've appeared on BOL in the past?

Would it be at all possible to have the BOL theme song for that episode be played "LIVE"? Probably a tough feat, but it would be cool. Cooler still if Jonathan Coulton came in and did his own acoustic rendition, but now I'm just letting my geek imagination get away with me.

I think you could also touch on show memes that have come and gone throughout the 1000 episodes. Off the top of my head: cylon baby, The Molly Rant, Cooley hates space, Veronica's sound effects ("pew pew" when discussing Pew Research, the Murloc sound, etc.), Tom's best (and worst) segues, singing, "drink!", etc.

You should finish the show by listing 1000 Geek Names ala Hodgman's Hobo names. Okay, maybe skip that last bit.

Collapse -
Great idea, just toss in a party and it's complete
by darthweef / March 19, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

I love this idea.

Is it possible to include a live celebration meetup with it. Either during the show or that afternoon...

I think the 1000th needs to have a big party attached to it.

Collapse -
1000 Episode
by Stkxppro / March 22, 2009 1:27 PM PDT

Hey Guys I just have a few requests and suggestions for the 1000th episode.

1- If possible, please do not have an age limit on who can attend the meetup. I am 16 and LOVE BOL and would be super bummed if I could not come the the 1000th meetup. Also, please make the meetup on the east coast if possible of pay for my airfare (just kidding). And- TO Scott, Tom's boss- i would like to hear about how BOL was created and the whole story behind BOL (thank you in advance). Lastly, PLEASE have the meetup somewhere cool.

Thanks

LOVE BOL SO MUCH!

Steve from NJ

Collapse -
All in
by PacGamer / March 19, 2009 5:35 AM PDT

This episode needs to be longer than usual so that there is plenty of time to talk and reminisce about the past. Call it the "Evolution of BOL" if you want. I am all in for the idea of the viewer calls. I think you guys should get a hold of a couple of t-shirts to giveaway just like the old times.

On a side note, in Tom's original post: "Here's what I'm thinking for the |100th| episode, but I'd like your thoughts." It's 1000, not 100. Boo for typos. Grin

Collapse -
Spectacularly unfeasible but ...
by apaulio / March 19, 2009 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: All in

Tom's 1000 cheesiest links. No content, just the filler, similar to the titles show.

((and I do like the 1000 hobo names. I'd go with that, sounds easier to do.))

Collapse -
Longer celebration
by CraigPotts / March 26, 2009 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: All in

There is too much for one show.
We need clips from all the way back at the beginning. Why not start at show 990 with some clips including some of the past guests and hosts, especially ones that won't be able to make it for the actual 1000th show.
If it stretched out to show 1010 that would be great too!

Since before Veronica could speak - Love the show.

Collapse -
Sounds cool!
by n74jw / March 19, 2009 9:22 AM PDT

Except for the listener calls part...

Collapse -
Wonderful Idea!
by dextire / March 19, 2009 10:00 AM PDT

The only thing I would change is the length of the show. This is a one in a 1000 special episode! It should be expected to go on for at least 2 hours. How the show got started, how it's changed, how it's going to change, favorite stories, favorite memories, it all adds up and shouldn't be rushed.

And maybe instead of reading the top stories, each person could pick a topic they are passionate about (DRM, Apple, Space, etc.) and discuss those as the stories of the day.

Man, Tom got me all excited about this formula and it may not even happen this way (and not for 3 months)!

Collapse -
Sounds great, Tom!
by Doug in L.A. / March 19, 2009 10:09 AM PDT

Looking forward to the show!

Collapse -
I say
by Nicholas Buenk / March 19, 2009 11:20 AM PDT

The show should be nothing but a long high pitched beep.
As a protest of Internet censorship. Us Aussie geeks are really upset about this stuff

Collapse -
How about 1000 and 1001 on the same day?
by howl2z / March 19, 2009 12:28 PM PDT

The concept sounds great. I would suggest not including the news of the day as part of the 1000th BOL. Keep 1,000 as a commemorative episode full of celebrating the amazing accomplishment - just as Tom has outlined, but for the news of the day. Maybe some classic "Heard it here firsts!" and "Boy, did we get that wrong!" with each special guest confessing their favorite hurray or awe crap. Then have a condensed 1001st episode with each of the special guests presenting their news of the day. The two shows would make the download/file sizes more manageable and extend the shelf life of the 1000th show. Unless there are some really great news stories, their relevance is diminished when you re-listen to the commemorative 1000th episode later.

Collapse -
(NT) Sounds like a fun, mega-show, extravaganza! :)
by shmody / March 20, 2009 12:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
All Molly all the time...
by DarekMeridian / March 20, 2009 12:53 AM PDT

Molly rocks and I think for the 1000th show it should be molly hosting.. all molly all the time.

Collapse -
Best of Episodes
by lightningboy7 / March 20, 2009 2:26 AM PDT

Could you play all of the best of episodes and all the prediction shows and prediction show results.

Collapse -
Just do a regular episode.
by kwahhn / March 20, 2009 2:32 AM PDT

The real kick *** episode will be 10,000.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.