Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

100 percent CPU usage by system process - windows XP

by tibravo / April 24, 2005 3:29 AM PDT

The problem just started a couple of days ago.
The computer was working fine, and all of a sudden (after coming back from a coffee break), when I typed something on my browser, the letter input goes the other direction,
and the computer became slow to respond. I decided to power it off the hard way.

I restarted the computer, and the login takes a long time, maybe 1 hour, and I learned that the CPU usage has topped 100 percent and the system process was
eating up 95 - 99%.

Since the computer become so slow, I reboot it the hard way again and this time to safe mode. It appears to be ok: No usage problem. I restored back to previous checkpoint, but it didn't help. Then I started going through the system service process, and disable
a few services, and now I can login immediately, but when the desktop shows up, the system process is again eatting up all CPU power. All applications are taking
forever to get started.

I have used chkdsk, no disk problem.
I have used trendmicro's house call and no virus found.
I have cleanned up all cookies.
I did not installed any hardware/software

Does anyone have suggestion/solution?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 100 percent CPU usage by system process - windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 100 percent CPU usage by system process - windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is from a previous post...
by raddman / April 24, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

Trend Micro - Pattern 594 - XP 100% CPU Usage

Having just wasted to much time. I finally figured out why (not coincidentally) our corporate network started to expereince 100% client side CPU usage. Trend Micro pattern 594 has issues with XP. Windows XP Service Pack 2 machines with critical patches and PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU utilization after updating to Pattern 594

See solution

Product: PC-cillin Internet Security

Version: 2005

Solution ID: 24264

Created: 4/22/2005 6:23:14 PM

Solution: To resolve the issue:

Start the machine in safe mode:

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power.

Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

Start entering the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.

Note: If the Keyboard Error message appears, restart the computer and try again.

Select the Safe mode option.

Press Enter. The computer will then begin to start in Safe mode.

Go to the ..\Internet Security 2005 directory then delete LPT$VPN.594.

Update to Pattern 596 in order to bring the machines up.

Reboot the computer and go back to Normal mode.

Update to Pattern 596.

Collapse -
I Hate PC-Cillin
by Oopio / April 24, 2005 11:04 AM PDT

there are plenty of free software out there that works just as well

Collapse -
Thanks a million - back to "normal"!!
by Lone_Bull / April 25, 2005 5:48 AM PDT

Your fix work worked BEAUTIFULLY!! Here we were pointing the finger at MS - poor Bill - this time: My apologies indeed!

On the other hand - Trend Micro - are you going to pay the bill for all of us techs to go out and fix our customers machines?? I've tried two "remote" fixes - neither one could hit the F8 key at the right time even after telling them to continually hit the key while booting up. Heaven help us.

Gotta go -- let's see if I can find my car keys....It's going to be a long day.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Update to Pattern 596??
by Ferrante101 / April 25, 2005 8:31 AM PDT

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but how do you update to that pattern? Is it an option you can check?

Thanks much,
Mark Ferrante

Collapse -
Click on Update to get the latest pattern file (598)
by tibravo / April 25, 2005 10:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) thank you all. problem solved.eom
by tibravo / April 25, 2005 10:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Trend Micro - Pattern 594 - XP 100% CPU Usage
by futuresmkt / August 16, 2009 3:31 AM PDT

Everyting went well until I tried to type in ..\Internet Security 2005 directory
My keyboard would not work!!

Collapse -
by dyspyzthespyz / April 24, 2005 4:49 AM PDT

according to trendmicro, and im not sure if it is just housecall, their AV or both..."Enter your computer in safe mode>> Search all files and folders for a filename LPT$VPN.594 and delete all references of it. Restart your computer normally. The cause is a bug in Trend Micro which cannot properly scan this entry, as a result Trend Micro gets stuck into a loop and CPU usage spikes to 100% rendering your PC unusable.".....hope this helps. :-|

Collapse -
by dyspyzthespyz / April 24, 2005 5:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
100% utilization - Here too!
by Lone_Bull / April 25, 2005 5:17 AM PDT

I sure am glad to see your post as we have been having the EXACT situation here with just the SP2 machines, i.e., the SP1 boxes are working just fine. We are wondering if this might be a "regional" thing as there is no news about this problem. This started late last Friday (April 22) here in southern NM. Does Microsoft have regional servers? Maybe we here in NM had a bad update.

A few local computer techs I've talked to are having the same (terrrible) situation with lots of their clients.

We can work in "Safe Mode with networking" but the video is the pits.

Is there an update we can uninstall to get things back to "normal"? Like you said, rolling back to a previous check point has no effect. Notice the difference in size of the "system" process when in normal mode vs. safe mode? For me: normal 260K, safe: 212 K.

Thanks for your post!!

Collapse -
Same problem-Trend AV-two days ago!
by Ferrante101 / April 25, 2005 8:25 AM PDT

My computer has peaked at 100% two days ago. ANd yes, I also have Trend as my AV. This is the ***** and to think that I paid for these problems!

I hope all of this helps and I am really pissed off!

Mark Ferrante

Collapse -
Same Problem...But..
by raddman / April 25, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

I had the same problem, CPU running at 100%...Because of Trends security update #594...I was on my start up page just getting ready shut down and take my PC to the repair shop when I received a new update from trend #596 and after it downloaded my PC went back to working normal...I checked and I still have update #594 on file so I just left it there and my PC has been running just fine..I really like Trend security systems and have been running it for 4 years now with this being the first problem...could be SP2 was at fault also...Radd Guy...

Collapse -
Deleted Trend file and everything fine! Thanks guys!!!
by Ferrante101 / April 26, 2005 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem...But..

I did as someone suggested earlier and went into safe mode, went to the Trend folder and deleted the file:LPT$VPN.594, rebooted and everything was find. Then I went and updated Trend, did a full scan and now I am back in business. Cnet is such a great place, and you posters are great too in helping those of us who, at times, fill like putting our fist through the monitor screen! Now I am off to catch up on three days of mail! See ya!

Collapse -
Still in need of a solution to 100% cpu utilization
by archy / May 20, 2005 1:56 AM PDT

I have PC-cillin Internet Security on my Windows XP system so I thought the "delete Pattern 594" solution would work. But I didn't find that file. I have later patterns on my system. I didn't delete any files.
This usually happens at night, so last night I tried turning off PC-cillion. This morning the computer was frozen. I had to do a hard shut down.
Any ideas?

Collapse -
Windows 7 cpu 100% system process - solution - solu
by leoconsoft / November 9, 2009 1:11 AM PST

hi all!!
I looked for a solution for my problem for many days, but TODAY I found the solution!
my problem was: no matter what I did, my CPU was always using 100% , and the responsible for that was the SYSTEM process , IN windows 7 ultimate.

I tried everything, videocards, codecs, formatting. In the beginning, everything was OK, but after I did my own personal configuration, the cpu was 100%, and everything was so slow! man, i was desperate!
but then, TODAY, i noticed that it happened when I changed the POWER CONFIGURATION !!!!
I have the tradition of letting everything ON all the time. so I went to advanced configuration and but to NEVER turn off, in ALL CASES.
well, after I changed it BACK to the default configuration, immediately my cpu came back to its right use!

it's a miracle!

I really hope I help somebody! cya!

Collapse -
100% CPU usage
by bbplugger / May 21, 2005 10:07 AM PDT

I was having similar problems. Windows Task Manager showed 100% CPU utilization, but looking at running processes I couldn't see which was the offending process, so it had to be spyware which was hiding itself. The solution: downloaded Microsoft's AntiSpyware beta product, which solved the problem. Check it out on MS's home page and download page.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.