Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

100% cpu problem

by penserlunite / October 17, 2004 8:54 PM PDT

i am trying to run a live audio/video broadcast from my computer, i am using a external (creative sound blaster) audio card and an external (web tv) input device, both are usb. about 1 minute in to broadcasting my cpu max's out at 100% and it don't seem right. i just redid my computer so it is at tip top condition and has no viruses and or spy/ad ware on it. can anyone suggest anything that would give more resorce's to my cpu for broadcasting.

my system is:

dell inspiron 1100
windows xp
celeron(r) cpu 2.40 GHz
512 MB of ram

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 100% cpu problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 100% cpu problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 100% cpu problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2004 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: 100% cpu problem

Given I've seen such a setup more than a few times, unless the machine has a worm/pest/spyware or other the CPU may indeed peg. It's a side effect of hurry up, let's get this puppy to market.

Collapse -
''Considerations FYI''
by Cursorcowboy / October 17, 2004 9:47 PM PDT

Memory, Speed, and Performance May Decrease

1. The article [Q310419] describes issues concerning computer speed and decreased performance caused by programs loaded at startup, programs that create memory leaks, and the situation when a computer has a small or minimal amount of random access memory (RAM), or a slower central processing unit (CPU).

2. The article [Q822430] explains that when you click a large Audio Video Interleaved (AVI) file in Explorer, Windows may stop responding (hang), you notice that the Explorer.exe process consumes 100 percent of CPU usage for up to two hours or more and occurs when Windows tries to query the index of the file which isn't there and then attemps to build one. Read the TweakXP tip "AVI files causing high cpu usage again with installation of XP SP1" to prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to their file property queries causing 100% cpu usage.

3. The article [Q314056] describes Svchost.exe (%SystemRoot%\System32 folder), the generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs), can run in multiple instances at the same time and each session can contain a grouping of services so they can run depending on how and where it is started. Please note, the built-in "Task Scheduler" -- a "huge word that" (Schedsvc.dll) component is made up of the MSTask.exe service file and a user interface (UI) component in MSTask.dll that you can use through Windows Explorer or through Control Panel and is hosted by the file Svchost.exe in the Netsvcs group.

Note: If you feel a service stared and running is to blamed for the excessive CPU usage, use the procedure in [Q811267] to stop services one at a time simply for the purpose of determining which one could be causing the anomaly.

4. The Power Options Tool (Powercfg.exe) is a utility which was introduced in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) that can be accessed from this tool in Control Panel to set certain power options. Whether they will be of use or help is anybody's guess, [Q324347].

5. When a Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) application is run on WinXP, a memory leaks for Graphics Device Interface (GDI) objects may be seen when creating and destroying child windows and can be observed in the GDI objects of the process in Task Manager. This can occur when a program make many calls to the StgCreateDocFile function to create compound storage objects and causes a 512-byte memory leak to occur - an error, STG_E_FILEALREADYEXISTS (0x80030050). To resolve problems of this type when applicable, "Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack" described in [Q319740].

6. The article [Q309073] states that by sending a particular set of commands to an affected system, an attacker could gradually deplete resources on the system to the point where performance could be slowed or stopped altogether. The vulnerability results because the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service that either ships with or can be installed does not correctly handle certain requests and can cause a memory leak.

7. The article [Q315000] states that unchecked buffer in Universal Plug and Play can lead to System Compromise and describes two vulnerabilities that affect the implementation of UPnP in various products. Although the vulnerabilities are unrelated, both involve how UPnP-capable computers process the discovery of new devices on the network. To resolve this problem obtain the latest sevice pack for Windows XP.

8. Laptop users may experience this problem if the power policy changes because of an AC/DC transition while the computer is using the "Max Battery" power scheme. When the computer is running at 100 percent CPU usage, the computer never enters the idle loop in which the speed of the CPU is dynamically adjusted based on demand and current policy values. The supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in, [Q330512].

9. Open Task Manager and click the Processes tab to see a list of "running processes" (click to see a screen shot) - click the CPU column header to sort the list of processes by their CPU utilization as desired.

a. You may find that if the Microsoft Indexing Service (Cidaemon.exe) is used and cause the high CPU utilization.

b. In Task Manager, you can right-click an active program or process and change the amount of CPU power it gets until it's closed, which then reverts back to the XP's default assignment -- Low, BelowNormal, Normal, AboveNormal, High and Realtime.

10. While on the subject of CPU usage and how to tell -- or should I say "attempt to tell", I wonder if Microsoft really fixed things for XP. Referencing an older published article [Q227131], it explains that the System Monitor tool may display incorrect CPU Usage that can occur for any of the following reasons, and which you can safely ignore since it is not indicative of a problem:

? CPU usage rises to somewhere between 20-60 percent even though you are not running any programs.
? CPU usage declines sharply when you move your mouse.
? CPU usage declines sharply either when you run Windows Media Player or play a .wav file.
? CPU usage rises when you dial-up to connect.
? CPU usage does not fall from 100 percent.

Note: In addition, the older article [Q178563] states that if you use System Monitor to monitor more than one occurrence of "Kernel: Processor Usage," the second and following occurrences of "Kernel: Processor Usage" show 100 percent processor usage. As a workaround to this behavior, use only one occurrence of "Kernel: Processor Usage" in System Monitor, or use two separate occurrences of System Monitor.

11. Supplemental reading: "A Program Stops Performing a Task or Explorer.exe Uses 100% of the CPU When You Right-Click an Item in Windows Explorer (Q819946)."

1. The article "Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)" explains - among other things - that running services and programs started automatically when you start your computer typically run all the time and uses a portion of your computer's system resources that cannot be used for any other task. The more used the slower your computer gets -- makes sense.

2. Are unnecessary Counter Logs used? Are they really necessary?

a. Click Start, Programs, Administrative Tools and then click Performance.

b. Double click Performance Logs and Alerts, Counter Logs and note what is listed in the details pane. A green icon indicates that a log is running; a red icon indicates that a log has been stopped.

c. If desired, you may also right-click a blank area of the details pane and click New Log Settings, enter a name for a log to create in the Name box:, and then click OK. Click General, Add, and select the counters wanted too. If you want to change the default file and schedule information, make the changes on the Log Files and Schedule tabs.

d. To remove whatever you wish to circumvent running/logging simple highlight the name of the counter in the legend in the System Monitor details pane and press the Delete key.

3. After Internet Explorer and Internet Tools are installed, the Internet Explorer Customization Wizard can be run to use the wizard's AVS feature to obtain any updated or new components released by Microsoft that have become available since deploying Internet Explorer, which then becomes part of the everyday updated browser package. Do you want this running all the time? The update notification page notification can be turned off using the IEAK Profile Manager:

a. Click Start, Programs (in Windows XP, click All Programs), Microsoft IEAK 6, IEAK Profile Manager.

b. Click File, Open, and then open the .ins file for the custom browser package.

c. On the left side, under Policies and Restrictions, click Internet Settings, Advanced.

d. On the right side, clear the Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates check box.

e. Click File, Save as: and type a name for the file, keeping its .ins file extension.

Note: After disabling, it can still be turned on in the browser. To disable the page completely so it cannot be enable it in the browser, set the Update check interval to a value of zero.

4. Supplemental reading:

a. "Disabling AutoUpdate Service in Control Panel Does Not Shut Down the Service (Q283151)."

b. "Description of the Windows XP Logman.exe, Relog.exe, and Typeperf.exe Tools (Q303133)."

c. "Failure Events Are Logged When the Welcome Screen Is Enabled (Q305822)."

d. "HOW TO: Configure Recovery Techniques in Windows XP (Q307973)", concerning severe errors (also called a fatal system error, or stop error)

e. "HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)."

f. "HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP (Q308423)."

g. "HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer (Q308427)."

h. "HOW TO: Set Up Administrative Alerts in Windows XP (Q310490)."

i. "Windows XP May Slow Down If Users Are Logged On with Fast User Switching (Q312058)."

5. After enabling the Run logon scripts synchronously policy setting, Windows directs the system to wait for the logon scripts to finish running before it starts the interface program and creates the desktop and these Scripts May Not Run Before Windows Explorer Starts Even Though the "Run Logon Scripts Synchronously" Setting is Enabled (Q304970) and occurs because a logon performance enhancement is enabled by default. This enhancement causes the computer to not wait for Group Policy processing before an environment is initialized.

6. Services (click to see an example screenshot) are programs that run when the computer is booted and continue to run as they aid system functionality. You will find many services loaded and are simply not needed which take up memory space and CPU time. Circumventing those unneeded services will free up system resources and speed up overall computer operation.

a. Click Start, Run type services.msc and then press Enter.

b. The Services applet will load listing services currently in session/use. What you have to consider/decide is which service(s) is/are not right for you -- good luck.

c. Please review the topics:

(1) The article "HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP (Q316434)" provides a partial list of core operating system services that load and varies according to the services that are installed and the version of Windows XP used. If automatic events and services constantly run and eat up system resources, perhaps eliminating those consider extraneous and unnecessary could help improve system performance. Remember, they can always be reinstated.

(2) "Default settings for services."

(3) "A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP (Q314056)."

d. To configure how a service is started:

(1) Open Services and right-click the service to configure, and then click Properties.

(2) On the General tab, in the Startup type box, click either Automatic, Manual, or Disabled.

(3) To specify the user account that the service can use to log on, click the Log On tab, and then do one of the following:

(a) To specify that the service use the LocalSystem account, click Local System account.

(b) To specify that the service use the LocalService account, click This account, and then type NT AUTHORITY\LocalService.

(c) To specify that the service use the NetworkService account, click This account, and then type NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService.

(d) To specify another account, click This account, click Browse, and then specify a user account in the Select User dialog box. When you are finished, click OK.

(e) Type the password for the user account in the Password box and in the Confirm password box, and then click OK.

e. Interesting reading:

(1) "System Services for the Windows Server 2003 Family and Windows XP Operating Systems." Read the topic "Workstations" specifically, and if it is not needed, disable.

(2) Black Viper's Windows XP Services Configurations.

(3) Windows XP Tweaking Guide - VIA/Arena.

f. Please note, that if a service runs for catalog indexing such as Cidaemon.exe that is discussed in the Win2k article [Q156756], further discussed in [Q308202] for both Win2k and WinXP, it is suggested that some testing be conducted to perhaps check whether certain services are necessary and used only after you read the article, "HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP (Q308423)."

7. If you have thousands of files on your computer, you may speed up your searches by turning on the "Indexing Service" to run in the background (the equivolant of FastFind previously used on older Windows systems which everybody learned to do without). If you don't have thousands of documents to search through, you're unlikely to benefit much from indexing. Please note that if the number of documents is large, insufficient memory will seriously affect performance. You can also improve performance by adding more memory and increasing the amount of memory dedicated to mapping the property cache. A faster CPU and hard drive improves the performance of indexing and the speed of processing queries as well.

a. From My Computer, right-click the hard drive and select Properties.

b. Note the entry at the bottom labeled "Allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searches".

c. Uncheck the box and then click OK.

d. An applet will pop-up prompting whether to apply this option to all folders and subfolders.

8. A "memory leak occurs" when a memory pool allocates some of its memory to a process and the process does not return the memory. When this happens repeatedly, the memory pool is depleted, [Q130926]. Are there any on your system which create this anomaly?

9. The "System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG.EXE) (Q310560) can be used to prevent unnecessary items from loading when a system is started (Click here to see an example screenshot).

Note: If you change any startup setting by using System Configuration Utility, the following message appears the next time you log on to the system:

You have used the System Configuration Utility to change the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

10. Hint: It is not necessary for a user to log off the computer since a user's account is always logged on and the user can switch quickly between all open accounts. For example, Dad comes home and starts using his machine. He opens Microsoft PowerPoint
Collapse -
Re: ''Considerations FYI''
by penserlunite / October 20, 2004 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: ''Considerations FYI''

i dont have any programs that start up on bootup. cause i keep that **** underwraps. like i said everything is tip top on this computer, and i am still losing resorces.

Collapse -
by AussiePete / October 17, 2004 9:52 PM PDT

What do you mean by "max's out" - do you mean it crashes or is there just a general slowing down? - what load is the CPU under before you run the broadcast? you can see the above by looking in task manager.
There is nothing wrong with the CPU running at 100% as long as performance is maintained - if not it is usually memory problems - either lack of, or wrong utilisation, or program errors. You seem to have a reasonable system with enough grunt so in your case i would be suspecting program errors (ie software and drivers).
Try tweaking things in "control panel\system\systems properties\advanced\performance\settings" - also make sure no other programs are being loaded at startup (look in startup section of msconfig)

Collapse -
by penserlunite / October 20, 2004 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 100% cpu problem

ive just restored computer and everything is upto date, drivers, etc... i had this problem before i restored it and did the restore to see if the problem would keep on keeping on...

i know what the task manager is. and thats how i keep track of how high the cpu is running. the encoder that i am using shows the cpu stats also.

the soft ware requires that it should be no higher than 80%. this is done by color codeing within the cpu stat's frame, on the software. 80 - 100 being (red) 50 - 80 (yellow) 0 - 50 (green). when it runs at a 100% durring a broadcast it ends up freezing after 5 min. the recorded video and audio is choppy when i view it after a reboot, if it does freeze. even if i save it from freezing.

i just need to know if i need a better computer and what would people suggest i get, something that can handle the load im a tring to carry.

Collapse -
what about ...
by AussiePete / October 20, 2004 11:07 PM PDT

tweaking and startup programs that i mentioned.

Collapse -
Re: what about ...
by penserlunite / October 26, 2004 8:02 PM PDT
In reply to: what about ...

all done, and nothing

Collapse -
One other thing..
by AussiePete / October 20, 2004 11:16 PM PDT

I am not convinced that with your system you haven't got enough under the bonnet - however, what are the system requirements of the program???? this is the important thing and i bet your system well and truely meets the minimum requirement - i think you need to look at a grease and oil change with the system you have.
By which I mean drivers, and the things i mensioned before.

Collapse -
Re: One other thing..
by penserlunite / October 26, 2004 8:03 PM PDT
In reply to: One other thing..

all drivers are up to date

Collapse -
Other considerations
by billzhills / October 21, 2004 12:19 AM PDT

This is a Laptop ....

1. Heat, laptops have no real air flow.
2. Something about throttling CPU use to save battery.
.........Will need some help here.............
3. 2.4 Celeron, I don't expect much from this CPU.
4. All in all, if you're seeking a notebook for word processing, e-mailing, or browsing the Internet, this is a reasonable choice... from,1759,1211677,00.asp
Good information tho it may not apply.

Collapse -
Re: Other considerations
by penserlunite / October 26, 2004 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Other considerations

1. up its a lap top
2. i would like to know more about this.
3. my computer is a dell inspiron 1100.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.