Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

10.6 and 10.7 on same mac

by Upholsteress / October 6, 2012 10:27 AM PDT

I have a Macbook running Snow Leopard. I created a partition and loaded Lion 10.7. That is all I did. Is there something else I need to do in order to access my apps? Pages won't open, Numbers.. etc.. Because of this, I am continuing to use Snow.

Is it possible to use the same app from either system?

TIA,

Cheryl

Upholsteress has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 10.6 and 10.7 on same mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 10.6 and 10.7 on same mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Upholsteress

Collapse -
Although you can put 10.6 and 10.7
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 7, 2012 1:22 AM PDT

on separate partitions on the same hard drive, you cannot run both at the same time.

That said, it is possible to access the documents created by Pages and Numbers that are housed on the "other' partition.
The applications themselves must be installed separately on each partition.

eg. Partition A has 10.6 and you install iWork, create documents and presentations and save them in your Documents folder on Partition A
Partition B has 10.7 installed. iWork needs to be installed on this partition too. Create documents and presentations and save them in your Documents folder on Partition B.

Now, depending on which partition you are booted from, you can launch Pages (for example) and tell it to open a document that is in your documents folder on the other Partition. Edit and save it back to the same place.

Long story short, all the apps you want to be able to use on either partition, must be installed on each of those partitions.

Question. Why didn't you just update from 10.6 to 10.7 without the hassle of creating a separate partition?

P

Collapse -
Cause i am a chicken! *bwwaaaak*
by Upholsteress / October 7, 2012 5:30 AM PDT

HAHA!! I am *still* hanging on to a few Appleworks database documents that I have been unable and sorta unwilling to leave behind. And I haven't even begun to check out Parallels and my embroidery software. I know.. I am so bad. Sad

However!! Your answer gives me the info I need to start using Lion and get things in order. I am extremely thankful to you for that. Now maybe I can make use of iCloud.

Thanks again!!

C
<div>

</div>

Collapse -
Regarding Appleworks
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 7, 2012 9:28 AM PDT

All your AppleWorks documents, at least most of them, can be opened with Pages or Numbers, here's how.

Locate an Appleworks document and Right Click it and Get Info.
Part way down the window that opens you will see a section marked "Open with"
Click the field and choose Pages.
Right underneath that is a button that says "Change All..."
Click it
Now all your Appleworks documents will open in Pages.

On your Embroidery software, do the same Get Info thing and look at the top of the window that opens.
You're looking at the General section, Kind.
If it says Universal Binary or Intel, then the program will run under 10.7
If it says PPC, it will not

Hope this helps

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.