Mac OS forum

General discussion

10.4.11 safari will not launch

by ennui1ross / January 18, 2010 10:28 AM PST

Recent inability to get safari 3.1.1 to launch under 10.4.11 - error message "quit unexpectedly." Tried updating to safari 4.0.4 with the same results. (Reverted back to 3.1.1) Log on as a different user and 3.1.1 works with no problem. Any suggestions as to what I need to repair or delete to get this back in order? (Also - recent inability to have firewire connected external drive to mount on desktop - under any user.)

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 10.4.11 safari will not launch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 10.4.11 safari will not launch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a cache corruption issue
by rnauth1418 / January 18, 2010 10:43 PM PST

Sometimes when you re-install a program the program can leave behind a system cache (including preferences, utilities etc.) that have been partially deleted and, as such, corrupted. Thus, odds are a cleaning out of the system cache should help resolve the issue. Look through your home folder for signs of safari in your cache folder and delete those files. Then reinstall safari and see if that helps. (certain cache files are user specific, which would explain why this issue is also user specific.)

Collapse -
Reset Safari...
by Mr. Gregg / January 18, 2010 11:24 PM PST

Find above in Safari Menu

Clear cache.

Does that help?

Collapse -
I dont think it is a browser cache issue.
by rnauth1418 / January 18, 2010 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Reset Safari...

I mean the actual system caches. The ones the App uses to run on the operating system.

Collapse -
Could be a corrupt something in
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2010 1:27 AM PST

the users profile.
He states that it works with another user logged on.

Maybe removing the system prefs might help

P

Collapse -
Could be
by rnauth1418 / January 19, 2010 2:32 AM PST

It might be a system prefs issue, but I dont think that explains the crashing, maybe irradic behavior of the problem. Either way. Clearing out all reminence of the program and then reinstalling is your best bet.

Collapse -
tried a few things
by ennui1ross / January 19, 2010 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: Could be

Thanks for all of the replies!

I tried trashing the preference files and all associated files by using appzapper; restarted; reinstalled safari; restarted; still crashes. I tried to copy the "good" preference files from the other user lirary account into the main user folders but still not changes.

I do not want to update to 10.5 due to software compatibility with some other programs I own.

Will keep trying and checking this post. Thanks again.

Collapse -
oops
by ennui1ross / January 19, 2010 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: tried a few things

I need to check my spelling before I post messages.

Collapse -
What I like to do
by rnauth1418 / January 19, 2010 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: tried a few things

At this point, if the OS has been installed for some time now, it might make sense to do an archive and reinstall of the OS. This may cure the issue. It is a very brute force way to solve the problem, but as there is no way to truly further diagnose the issue it may be your best bet. If that does not work then a clean install will most certainly do the job.

Collapse -
AnySystemUpdatesPre-Problem?
by klor5 / January 22, 2010 9:49 PM PST

I had a problem just like yours following an update from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2.After that Safari 4 wouldn't launch,it would just crash every time.

I fixed this problem by downloading the 10.6.2 Combo updater from Apple.com (Using FireFox) and ran it.

Problem solved.Voila!

Collapse -
back up and running
by ennui1ross / January 23, 2010 4:31 AM PST

Tried the archive and install option and that fixed the issue. Will probably try the combo update next time. Still working on getting extensions, etc. re-installed and running (windowshade, etc.)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wish I knew what I had done to cause the problem so I could avoid it again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.