Networking & Wireless forum

10/100 Router plus Gigabit switch networks

by johnc2994 / February 25, 2013 7:59 PM PST

I have a Zyxell Modem/Router with 4 ethernet ports running 10/100, if i plug a gigabit switch in to this and then plug 3 PC's into the gigabit switch, (each PC has a gigabit NIC) will the router pull the network down to transfer all data at 100mbps or will the PC's continue to transfer at 1000mbps and only the connection from internet router will be at 100mbps.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 10/100 Router plus Gigabit switch networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 10/100 Router plus Gigabit switch networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by pgc3 / February 25, 2013 11:52 PM PST

Everything stays at 10/100 i.e: B/G. All hardware must be gigabit/N and cables should be CAT6 not CAT5, and then good luck in attempting to achieve 100mbs, GIGABIT set up or not.

Collapse -
10/100 Router plus Gigabit switch networks
by johnc2994 / February 26, 2013 5:33 PM PST
In reply to: 10/100

I see what you mean, so just to confirm, if i have a 10/100 modem/router plugged into the gigabit switch, which is in turn plugged via Cat 6 cables to the 3 gigabit NIC PC's, then the data transfer between the PC's will be at gigabit speed and the data transfer between switch and modem/router will be at 10/100.

Sorry to go on but i have been told (and don't believe) that whatever i do the network will drop to the lowest denominator on the network . e.g. if there is one component on the network that is 10/100 then the whole network will run at that speed.

Collapse -
Will not slow down entire wired network.
by sunwatcher / February 26, 2013 11:42 PM PST

The reply from pgc3 above is confusing wired and wireless networking.

No, your entire wired network will not slow down because of your modem/router being plugged in to your Gigabit switch. As long as the 2 devices communicating and devices (e.g. switch) and cables in between are gigabit capable, your connection between the devices will be at gigabit speeds.

Collapse -
I love that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 1:59 AM PST

One of the best kept secrets to boost your wired network speed is to put in a switch after the router and put your gear there.

No it won't magically transfer the WiFi to higher speeds but it will improve the network overall.

Your question reminds me of what happened long ago on DUMB HUBS. This is a switch, not a dumb hub. As what a switch does is well discussed, I'll stop here.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.