22 total posts
btw- if anybody has an idea to make the lab setup better..
PLEASE! let me know.
I love it.
Thanks for taking on the task!
I know what type of bacteria it'll be
I am a fourth year bacteriology student and I think that I know what type of bacteria you'll find. The bacteria in your ear will most likely be the same as the bacteria on your skin. There are two major types of bacteria that grow on your skin, Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus aureus. The first is generally much more common.
Neither of these two types of bacteria will grow very well on nutrient agar (they are usually cultured on a type of agar called yeast extract chloramphenichol, or YGC, agar), but you may get some growth nonetheless.
Btw, I think the claim that there will be a 700% increase in bacteria in your ears after just an hour is probably incorrect. The time for one cell of either of these types to double is about 35 minutes to an hour and a half depending on the growth conditions. That means that you might have a hundred percent increase in that time but that is pretty unlikely. Skin flora tend to grow very closely together (they are generally harmless to you and actually keep other bacteria away by taking up all the space on the surface of your skin). The fact is that they simply wouldn't have the room to grow that much.
This shouldnt effect the results?
Even if the nutrient agar won't grow the bacteria as well, it shouldnt skew any results, should it? (Since all the specimins are in the same environment...)
Thanks for the heads up though, a good addition to my 'future improvements' slide.
it'll just be kinda slow
growing stuff on petri dishes is fun, anyway.. haha
you'll get growth but it should grow slowly. There will probably be small white colonies and, if you're part of the 40% of the population that carries S. aureus, some small yellow ones. (S. aureus is actually extremely pathogenic)
if you like bacteria and this kind of experiment, you should really think about a major in microbiology. its a lot of fun and you get to take tons of labs where this is the kind of thing you do.
Thanks for the insight
And yes, I have been interested in pursuing one of the multiple sciences I take intetrest in. Not sure If I can dedicate the time + effort...
There was nothing to see in any of the petri dishes.... so I am going to try and speed them up by:
1. Not cleaning my ears and (keeping them covered during showers)
2. Obtaining YGC.
before you throw them away...
let them incubate a little longer...
btw, what temperature are you incubating them at? 37 degrees C is optimal for bacteria growing on you. that could be a problem.. they won't grow well at room temperature.
I'm giving them 1 more day--
And then I'll restart.
And since they grow on the body, I've had them incubating at ~98 degrees (F)
Thanks for the tip,
PS: I'll be away thursday-sunday-- so will only be able to try lab once more.
37C is 98F
but thats the right idea..
well ill be damned
i was thinking about it this morning
you should really give them two to three days to grow colonies.. shows you how wrong that 700% increase was in the study though..
All music? No podcasts?
...if, as William Burroughs said, "Language is a Virus", podcasts should be ripe for rampant growth, no?
note to BOL:
I had no idea how geeky I sound....I'll blame it on being tired
this is really geeky
you need to do a further test after you finished this one- but this time a control test , using a new pair of ear buds each time- too check that the accumulation of bacteria is not from being in your ears to start with.
I sterlized the earbuds w/ bleach before each test
I finished trial 1 today, and now the bacteria are happily incubating in nutrient agar!
Like I said... geek.
But please be careful not to get bleach in your ears, there are some lengths to which it really isnt worth going in the name of science.
"May the schwartz be with you."
I kept that in mind
Wasnt sure if it'd do anything, but l just rubbed the earbuds with bleach-sprayed paper towels, waited, and dried them off. Nothing but control in this experiment!
you need to rinse the bleach off with water after you clean
Seriously, don't put them in your ears right after.
You could get chemical burns.
To clarify: I just lightly sprayed a paper towel wedge with bleach and rubbed the headphones with it-- I dont think the concentration was high enough to burn but I'll remember this is trial #2.
1 Day in on the Earbud/Bacteria lab...
Thanks I don't know weather or not you get bacteria on your earbuds but I did get a ear sore on my ear but I think it was from allergies instead of earbuds at all.