Computer Help forum

General discussion

1/13/06 Transferring files from old computer to a new one

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 12, 2006 3:10 AM PST
Question:

I received a great new Windows XP machine for my birthday. I love it, but I'm having a hard time getting it all set up. How can I get all my files and software from my old machine onto the new one? I've transferred some of my smaller files via floppy disk, but I'm not sure how to get the rest transferred. I know there's no simple answer, but any tips anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Submitted by: Ben M.

Answers to Ben's question can be found in the thread below.

In addition, if any of you are interested in finding out how to move your hard drive to your new computer, you're in luck! We covered this topic in one of our previous editions of our Community help & how-to newsletter. It is available to you right here:

Moving your old hard drive to a new computer

Good luck and enjoy!
-Lee
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1/13/06 Transferring files from old computer to a new one
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1/13/06 Transferring files from old computer to a new one
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Miguel K's winning answer
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 12, 2006 3:10 AM PST
Answer:

Ben,

Windows XP comes equipped with a utility called the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard," designed to facilitate the movement of both documents and personal settings from your old computer to the new one. Thanks to this utility, transferring everything, from the entire contents of your My Documents folder to your network and/or dial-up connections data, screensaver, and display preferences to your Web browser and e-mail client customizations, is simplified. As long as your old computer is running a Microsoft operating system from Windows 95 or later, you should be able to run the wizard without trouble.

Unfortunately, this tool will still require you to manually install many of the programs in your old computer onto your new one. As implied in its name, the Windows XP "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" will transfer some program files and program settings, but it will not install programs. Still, the wizard is arguably one of the more pragmatic approaches to the task at hand - and you already have it in your PC.

Understand, you might be better off manually installing programs onto your new computer for a number of reasons:

1. Clean installations of software repair files that might have become corrupted over time - possibly solving subtle software conflicts present in your old computer.
2. You are likely to be notified of updates, fixes and new program versions during installation. It's possible to transfer everything from your old computer, only to end up having to update a significant number of programs right away!
3. Transferring a program also transfers all of the junk left behind by previous upgrades. A clean installation avoids this problem, and keeps your new hard drive from collecting junk right away.
4. Some of the programs in your old PC - or newer versions of them - might already be installed in your new PC.
5. Programs copied from backup disks and drive images (clones) might not actually be installed, and the missing registry entries might prevent you from starting them, uninstalling them, or both.
6. Reinstalling software gives you a chance to determine whether some programs are truly needed, or simply taking up space in your hard drive. There's no point in transferring a three year-old copy of Real Player when you listen to your music files through iTunes.

Even if you have to reinstall a bunch of programs manually, doing so will still be less painful and less time-consuming than relying on floppy disks.

Before running the Wizard, there are some measures you can take to get everything ready:

Start by making a list of the programs present in your old computer. You can use it to keep track of what you need to install, as well as to identify entries that might be redundant or completely unnecessary.

Because the Wizard will not install programs but rather merely transfer some of their settings, you should start by installing your firewall, antivirus and other security software, as well as programs that you frequently use. As you'll see later, the Wizard will alert you to any other programs that ought to be present in your new computer if their settings are to be transferred.

Next, you need to decide on the physical means by which the data will move from your old computer to the new one. The best choice for moving large amounts of data is a network. In the absence of a network, your best bet would be connecting the computers directly using a null modem serial cable. You can find this inexpensive cable at electronics stores and those carrying office and computer supplies, such as Comp USA and Staples.

A third option would be using removable media such as CD-Rs and DVD-Rs. The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard will essentially back up files from your old computer onto the blank media, then restore them to your new machine. However, this process will be significantly more tedious and time-consuming than using a direct cable, and it should be reserved for situations in which relatively small amounts of data are being migrated.

Once you have settled on a transfer method, make sure the antivirus and antispyware software in your old computer are up to date, and scan the machine thoroughly. There is no reason to migrate infected and worthless files!

Now let's get started.

You can find an excellent discussion on how to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

I've distilled some of the information in that and other Knowledge Base articles below. Still, it wouldn't hurt to read that article to get an overview of the task at hand, or to refer to it afterward to help you put everything together.

To run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, simply click the START button on your new computer, then click ALL PROGRAMS / ACCESSORIES / SYSTEM TOOLS / FILES AND SETTINGS TRANSFER WIZARD. If you have any questions regarding how to connect your computers before proceeding, click on the appropriate link on the wizard's welcome screen. (The wizard will give you a chance to connect the computers at a later time.) Once you are ready to proceed, click NEXT.

The wizard then asks you whether the computer you are using is the new computer, or the old one. Make sure New Computer is selected, and click NEXT. The wizard will prepare your computer for the next step.

At this point, you are informed that the wizard needs to be run in your old computer as well, and are given the choice to either use your Windows XP CD, or create a Wizard Disk. If your new PC came with a Windows XP CD-ROM, select this option. Otherwise, insert a blank disk in the appropriate drive in order to create a Wizard Disk. Click NEXT to proceed to the Go now to your old computer screen. (You will need to return to this screen once the files are collected from your machine. If at some point you need to install programs on this new PC before their settings can be transferred, close the wizard, install the software, then repeat the above steps to get back to the Go now to your old computer screen.)

Now you are ready to collect files and settings from your old computer. The next steps will vary slightly depending on your previous choice:

If you chose to use a Wizard Disk:

(The following steps are taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306187/en-us)
1. Insert the Wizard Disk into the appropriate drive in your old computer.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type:drive:Fastwiz
Where drive is the drive that contains the Wizard Disk (such as A:Fastwiz).
4. Click OK
5. On the Welcome to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen, click Next.
6. On the Select a transfer method screen, click the transfer method that you want, then click Next.
7. On the What do you want to transfer? screen, click the selection that you want, and then click Next. I recommend you click on Both files and settings. Note that when you make a selection, a summary of the items to be transferred appears in the Based on your current selection, the following items will be transferred list on the right side of the wizard. If you wish, you can scroll down the list to verify that everything you want (for example, mp3s) will be transferred.
8. The wizard will now collect your files and settings. If you selected a removable media in step 6, you are prompted to insert the media (floppy disk, or other removable media) and then click OK.
9. On the Completing the Collection Phase screen, click Finish.
If you chose to use your Windows XP CD-ROM:

(Instructions taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306186/en-us)

1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
2. Right-click Start, click Explore, and then open the Support\Tools folder on the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. Double-click the Fastwiz.exe file to start the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
4. Click Next.
5. Click Old Computer, and then click Next.
6. Click the transfer method that you want to use, for example, floppy drive or other removable media, and then click Next.
7. On the What do you want to transfer? screen, click the selections that you want to transfer, and then click Next.
8. The wizard will now collect your files and settings. If you selected a removable media in step 6, you are prompted to insert the media (floppy disk, or other removable media) and then click OK.
9. Click Finish.

Regardless of the method chosen, the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard may alert you of programs that need to be installed in your new computer before their settings can be transferred. Chances are, some of the entries might be older versions of programs, or software you might not wish to install. If the list contains a program you want, install it in your new computer before proceeding. Otherwise, you can safely ignore the message.

Once the files have been collected, go back to the Go now to your old computer screen on your new computer, and follow the instructions. The wizard will guide you through the rest of the process.

Congratulations! Your new XP computer should now have a familiar feel and look, and contain most if not all of the files present in your old machine.

(And speaking of your old PC, if you are thinking of getting rid of it, you might want to read the following article, Skeletons on your hard drive: http://news.com.com/Skeletons+on+your+hard+drive/2100-1029_3-5676995.html )

Hope this helps. (Consider it a belated birthday present...)

Submitted by: Miguel K. of Columbus, OH
Collapse -
transfering files/miguel k's answer
by 18758849588002191899598224897579-marklshane1942 / January 12, 2006 5:38 PM PST

well, I liked the answer..but it led to another question.When I went to print it.....your letter was missing the right edge of the page..too large to fit all of the message on the page..Ive adjusted the print size ,still too large to print all of it. How do I adjust this on my pc(windows xp-home ) or my printer?

Collapse -
Printing wide
by nle9 / January 12, 2006 6:47 PM PST

Many web pages are not printer friendly. I've tried setting the display to a higher setting reducing the width and it still prints the same.

The best way when printing web pages is to first check print preview under the File drop down menu before printing and if the right side doesn't show, you need to change to landscape printing. Click on File menu then print and go to printer preferences or properties depending on your printer. There should be a tab or box choice for Layout where you can choose landscape over portrait. Then when printing the full width of the page will show.

Some printers do not change back once you choose landscape so to print in portrait again you should check the properties before the next printing.

Collapse -
Or copy it to Microsoft Word
by Laurence Taylor / January 12, 2006 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: Printing wide

Highlight just the message you want, without all of the adverts in the side columns, and click "copy". Open a blank Word document and paste. You might have to re-size it by messing around with the rulers at the top of the page.

Collapse -
Just change the margins in Page Setup!
by evantl1 / January 12, 2006 11:40 PM PST

Like any other "Microsoft handled" document, you can go to File-Page Setup in Internet Explorer and simply change the margins (.25" works fine). You only need to do it once--the setting holds over subsequent browser sessions until you change it again.

Collapse -
For AOL subscribers
by beechtiger / January 13, 2006 12:13 AM PST

Simply copy and paste onto "Write" letter and click print. In just one second, you are done without bothering with the margins on Microsoft Word.

Collapse -
also for AOL subscribers
by jkbk / January 15, 2006 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: For AOL subscribers

Instead of pasting into a "write" letter you can paste into a text document: Control-D for or File-New-TextDocument. When you print it you don't get the e-mail footer.

Collapse -
Copy to WOrd
by CAQUIM / January 18, 2006 7:46 PM PST

The best way I've found is to paste as unformated unicode text. Thia allows you to use all your default Word settings

Collapse -
Highlighting and Printing Non-Consecutive Sections of a Docu
by winbald / February 6, 2006 12:58 AM PST

After highlighting first paragraph, I then hold down
Ctrl Key and highlight the third paragraph. In doing so, I lose the highlighting on the first paragraph.
How can I print the first and third paragraph? Is it possible the Ctrl key is not performing? Am I doing something wrong? Your advice. Thank You

Collapse -
It works in Word and Excel.....
by ackmondual / February 6, 2006 2:31 AM PST

if you're trying this in Notepad or a webpage in IE, I don't think it'll work.

Collapse -
Highlighting and Printing Non-Consecutive Sections of a Docu
by winbald / February 6, 2006 1:05 AM PST

After highlighting first paragraph, I then hold down
Ctrl Key and highlight the third paragraph. In doing so, I lose the highlighting on the first paragraph.
How can I print the first and third paragraph? Is it possible the Ctrl key is not performing? Am I doing something wrong? Your advice. Thank You

Collapse -
using null modem cable
by swope1221 / January 12, 2006 8:48 PM PST

Hey. Happy Friday. I had a quick question on transferring data between computers using a null modem cable. I was reading the article, and it said if I have a null modem cable, I can hook up the computers directly using a null modem cable. Once this is done, how are the file actually transferred. Do I need to use a program, or is it drag and drop somehow (like will a new icon appear under my computer that stands for my other computer)? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
me too
by wampusct2 / January 12, 2006 10:53 PM PST

I found this a problem on a lot of sites where the articles have been cut off along the right side. I usually solve that by printing in the landscape mode for various web. Only this way was I ab le to cxapture the entire discussion I wanted to keep for future reference

Collapse -
Go a little deeper into print preview
by markgrime / January 13, 2006 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: me too

As nle9 said "check print preview under the File drop down menu" Something to add is to go to page setup. In in the preview pane, in the toolbar toward the upper left is a button for page setup. In the lower right corner is the "Printer" button. Click on it and select the printer desired, then click on the "Properties" button. The dialog that opens is different for each printer driver. A little hunting around can find many options to use as a solution, my favorite is usually on the "Page Layout" tab and often a button called something to the effect of "More Options" is available. The "Auto Fit" is the best choice if available, or "Scaling" can be used at around 80 to 85% will get everything on a letter/portrait page. Then the results can be viewed when returned to the preview dialog. As evantl1 said the settings will remain set for all future printing from Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
What kind of printer?
by r_rayjr / January 13, 2006 2:54 PM PST

What kind of printer do you have. I have a Epson Stylus C82. And they (Epson) has a program that fixes this webpage printing problems. I have not check other printer companies websites. But I would think that they should have s simular program that you can download right from your Printers makers website. Just go to their website and look under drivers/support, or this is how Epson has their site set up.

For example on my computer the file name for this is Epson Web-To-Page Utility v1.1aA and can be found at http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14417&prodoid=22708391&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

But make sure you use your make and model driver. Do not down load this if you do not have an Epson Stylus C82. Who knows what it will do if you try to load it for an HP printer.

Collapse -
Direct cable file transfer
by jmdttran / January 12, 2006 8:27 PM PST

I thought the wizzard would be the answer to my need for transferring files and settings and understood the need for reinstalling programs. However, everything I read in preparing for the transfer mentioned serial cables sch as the nun modems mentioned.

But my HP Pavilion zv6000 does not have serial ports. I understand those to be 9 or 25 pin ports.

What is the solution to this issue? the Wizzard does not mention USB connections as a method of transfer.

Collapse -
Serial ports
by arthur_c / January 12, 2006 11:08 PM PST

Hi,

First a history lesson (if that's OK):

The serial port was originally designed to connect a computer to a modem (back in the days before computers had internal modems). The original standard (V24 in Europe & RS232 in the USA) used a 25 way DIN connector. These 25 pins, however, included a lot of old fashioned signals that are not used by a modern modem, so computer designers started to use a 9 pin DIN connector for serial ports instead and you won't find many 25 way serial ports around.

Because the serial connector is designed to connect a modem to a computer, the transmit output signal on the computer is an input signal into the modem (and vice versa). Hence, if you connect all the 9 pins of a serial port on a computer dirctly to all the 9 pins of another computer, it won't work, because outputs will connect to outputs etc. Thus, to connect two computers via their serial ports, you need a ''null modem'' cable (''null'' because there's no actual modem there) which crosses over the transmit and receive pins, etc.

The parallel port was originally designed to connect a computer to a printer. Although the connector standard for this was a rather large and ungainly ''Centronics'' connector (you'll still find them on the back of parallel printers), computer manufacturers decided to use the same 25 way DIN connector that was originally used for serial ports. Confusing!

USB is a much more modern standard for connecting anything from printers to cameras to a computer. It's a very fast serial connection. USB comes in three flavours, by the way, (1.0, 1.1 and 2.0), but that's not too bad as the later ones are compatible with the earlier ones. At the computer end, the USB connector on the cable is a fairly small rectangular plug and at the peripheral end of the cable it's either a square plug with two corners cut off or a really small miniature plug. For the same reason that you can't connect two serial ports together, you can't connect two USB computer ports directly together or they would fight.

Most recent laptops don't support either serial or parallel ports, but all support USB. Most desktops still support parallel and serial ports as well as USB(although I guess it'll get rarer).

The upshot of all the above is:

On the computer, a 9 way connector will be a serial port and a 25 way connector will be a parallel port It would have to be an old modem or a **really old** computer to have a 25 way serial connector.

To connect two computer 9 way serial ports, you must use a ''null modem'' (i.e. crossed over) cable. The easiest thing is to tell the assistant at the computer store what you want it for and he/she should get you the right type. Similar cross over cables with a 25 way connector at each end can be obtained for connecting two parallel ports, but they're not very common. Beware of a cable with a 9 way connector at one end and a 25 way connector at the other - it's almost certainly to connect a computer with a 9 way serial port to an old modem with a 25 way serial port. It won't convert serial to parallel!!

Because laptops often don't have either serial or parallel ports, you can buy an adaptor which converts a USB port to a serial port or one which converts USB to a parallel port.

You don't mention what the other computer is. Does it have a serial port? If so, the solution might be buy a USB to serial convertor to get from USB to serial on the computer which doesn't have a serial port and a null modem cable to connect the convertor to the other computer. If neither computer has a serial port, you could use two USB to serial convertors (one on each computer) and a null modem between them, but that's really getting a bit messy.

Shopping list to connect two computers via serial ports would be:

a) Both computers have a serial port: buy 1 null modem cable.
b) Only one computer has a serial port: buy 1 USB/Serial convertor and 1 null modem cable.
c) Neither computer has a serial port: buy two USB/Serial convertors and 1 null modem cable.

It's a bit of a dilemma: connecting the two computers together, if you can, will give you an easy software life (especially if both are running XP). Getting the computers networked (via radio or ethernet) takes a bit of setting up but can pay for itself in sharing printers, files and network connections. Using something like a USB memory key is a very simple way to transfer files from computer to computer but means you have to find all the files you need and probably do some of the transfer of settings and preferences by hand.

Best regards,
Arthur C

Collapse -
Thanks for all the info
by broozer / January 13, 2006 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Serial ports

Thanks for the history lesson and all the info you shared with that last post. I have tried to conect pc's together myself several times in the past (mostly old gear) and never managed to get anything to work. This might help me out so I will have another try one of these days to see if I can get it right finally. Most helpful thanks.

Collapse -
More on serial ports
by arthur_c / January 13, 2006 7:27 PM PST

Glad to hear that was helpful. If you're going to have a look at connecting this way, the following might also be useful:

How a computer sees serial ports:

A computer can be fitted with more than one serial port. The computer identifies these as COM1, COM2 etc., so if there's more than one port, an application which uses a serial port will most often give you a drop down menu to select which COM port you want to use. Internal modems look to the computer just like serial ports and have similar properties, so you may find that, for example, the name COM2 is taken up by a modem. If you use a USB to serial convertor, the computer will automatically assign it a name based on which USB port you plug the convertor into. For example, it might appear as COM4 on one USB port or COM5 if you plug it into another USB port. You can have a look at what hardware the computer sees by going into control panel then system then hardware then device manager. The list of hardware is hierarchical, just like folders, so you click on the + signs to open up the next levels of detail. I'd suggest using the device manager just to look at the hardware rather than configure it unless you're really feeling confident.

Confguration:

There used to be two kinds of serial port, synchronous (where all the data bits are synchronised to a clock signal) and asynchronous (where you pick up the bit timing afresh for each character). Serial ports on PCs are always asynchronous as far as I know. Thus you'll also see serial ports called ''asynch ports'' or ''RS232 ports''. The data sent across a serial port consists of a number of bits sent one after the other on a single connector pin (one for each direction, of course!), all bits being of equal length. The voltages are not the same as TTL logic and are around 10-12V positive for a logic 0 and around 10-12V negative for a logic 1. The ''idle state'' of the line is logic 1 (i.e. negative voltage) The first bit is always a logic zero and is called the start bit because it defines the start of a character. There are then a number of data bits (5, 6, 7 or 8). Next comes an optional parity bit. The parity bit (if present) is used to check for any data errors and can be even or odd. Last comes a stop bit or bits, which are always a logic 1, to confirm that this is the end of the character and give some ''dead time'' to get ready to detect the next start bit.

Given the above, there are several parameters which can be changed. The bit rate (often somewhat incorrectly called the baud rate) is the rate at which the bits are sent. It normally has a value in the range 50 bits/S to 115,200 bits/S. 9600 bits/S is a commonly used value and it's always a good starting point - not too slow to be tedious, but not so fast that some applications can't keep up. The number of data bits can be configured and so can the use of the parity bit. 8 data bits and no parity is a good starting point. The number of stop bits can be configured as 1, 1.5 or 2. Two is a good starting point because any asynch port can receive data which has 2 stop bits. Lastly, you can configure flow control. This is the way for the receiving end to say to the transmitting end ''hold on a moment, I can't keep up!'' This can be done with a hardware output signal (a separate pin on the 9 way connector) called RTS (request to send) which is connected to an input signal at the other end called CTS (clear to send) and vice versa. It's not quite how the signals were originally intended to be used with modems, but that's the way it usually works now. The receiving end drives RTS to logic 1 when it can receive data and drives it to logic 0 when it wants the transmitting end to stop. The alternative method is software flow control. The receiving end sends a character called XOFF back to the transmitting end when it wants the transmitter to stop sending and a character called XON when it's ready to receive again. Software flow control has the advantage of not needing CTS and RTS wired up and hardware flow control has the advantage of not tying up two character codes so you can't use them for anything else. A good starting point is no flow control because most applications can keep up and it doesn't rely on either wires being connected or special characters.

Hyperterminal:

There's a utility provided with Windows called hyperterminal which allows you to talk directly to a serial port. On my machine it's found in ''all programs'' then accessories then communications. When you go into hyperterminal, it will ask you to define a new type of connection and ask you which COM port it communicates on and what configuration you want on the serial port. There are a number of other bells and whistles, but you needn't worry about these to start with. Thus, a good way to test your connection between two PCs is to run hyperterminal at both ends, setting 9600 bits/S, 8 data bits, no parity and no flow control at both ends. You should then be able to type lines of text at one end and receive them on the screen at the other.

Best regards

Collapse -
Other Choices
by Ralph P. Manfredo / January 14, 2006 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: Serial ports

Alternatives to using serial ports, is to use one of the following solutions:

1. A crossover ethernet cable and connecting the two computers back-to-back. This allows the transfer of data at full ethernet speeds of 100Mbps or even 1Gbps if both computers are so equipped.

2. A Compaq USB 2.0 Link to Link Adapter. This little gem even comes with transfer software and allows the user to transfer data at full USB 2.0 speeds of 450 Mbps.

Collapse -
Crossover cable
by lweson--2008 / January 12, 2006 11:23 PM PST

A crossover ethernet cable is what you need for this situation. You can pick one up for under $10 It takes the place of a router. Just plug it in to both ethernet ports and away you go.

Collapse -
Ethernet for file transfer.
by woodtoyota / January 15, 2006 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: Crossover cable

How do you make the computers find each other?

Collapse -
Encountering problem with crossover cable network
by bgill36 / January 17, 2006 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Crossover cable

I was able to network my desktop and laptop together using such a crossover cable and running Windows XP Pro network setup on both of them. It was working Ok but recently, a "Limited or No Connectivity" message appeared on the desktop which reads "You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer." Other details shown are:

Physical Address: 00-08-A1-24-6B-E9
IP Address: 169.254.152.248
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: Blank
DNS Server: Blank
WINS Server: Blank

I tried to fix the problem using the Windows network "Repair Command" but without any luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Collapse -
Reply to: Encountering problem with crossover cable network
by pete5 / January 20, 2006 12:36 PM PST

You need to manually set your IP addresses at this point.
This reply will show you how to set the IP address on both machines so they can talk to each other.

Go to Control Panel and open Network Connections.
Right-click on your Local Area Connection and select Properties.
Under the General tab, in the box that says "This connection uses the following items:", click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press the Properties button.
I am going to suggest a common address scheme here. You don't have to use this one, but it will work fine for this purpose and uses private network addresses.
Click the radio button marked 'Use the following IP adress:'
In the IP Address box enter 10.0.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
Default gateway may be left blank.
Click OK, then Close.
ON THE OTHER MACHINE, do the same steps, but enter an IP address of 10.0.0.2. This way the two machines each have their own address.
At this point the machines should be able to talk to one another.

When you are done transferring files, you should set both IP address settings back to 'Obtain an IP address automatically', unless you never plan to connect to any other computers or networks.
Best just to put it back the way it was when you're done. Happy
I hope this helps and that I didn't miss any steps.

Collapse -
recording program with uncomplete window
by dode / January 12, 2006 9:33 PM PST

bravo, very useful and complete answer. But.....I have the Techlogic Absolute MP3 recorder. A very nice free program to record what you hear in your PC. The problem is that when I transfered the program from a PC with Windows 98 to my laptop with 2000 its work, and when I transfered from 98 or 2000 to the new PC with XP , and despite of running the installing exe.file, the "record " and "stop" last line in the program window do not appear. What can be the problem? - David

Collapse -
hi from Columbus
by tcombs / January 12, 2006 10:11 PM PST

Hi Miguel:
I also live in Columbus and am the webmaster of 10 web sites. Some listed below under my name.
I wonder if you would contact me through my contact page on one of my websites? I might bring you some tech business and possibly exchange help with each other.
Thanks,
Toni Combs
http://www.art-tlc.com/
http://www.screensavers-tlc.com/
http://www.wallpapers-tlc.com/
http://www.animatedbackgrounds-tlc.com/
http://www.animatedwallpapers-tlc.com/
http://www.thataintright-jt.com/
http://www.books-stopwrongmen.com/

Collapse -
Excellant answer but too long.
by Nraphan / January 12, 2006 10:26 PM PST

My answer:
Buy a mac.

Turn on, hook up a firewire cable, a prompt will ask you if you want to transfer all files or just some.
Click. Done.

Collapse -
Tranferring files
by Per Timm / January 13, 2006 1:06 AM PST

Miguel,
Excellent answer, but if it is a mere moving of files and both machines can get access to Internet, then you can use http://www.yousendit.com/ to move the files.
I did it myself and it is extremely easy

Best REgards
Per

Collapse -
tried it, no go
by joemilkes / January 13, 2006 1:08 AM PST

Followed directions and found that I had 8 gig of set up stuff. Didn't even try to back up programs or files, just set up stuff. Backed up to external HD with more than ample room. At 4 gig, got message that due to formating of hd which is FAT 32, it can not create a large enough file. The total amount of stuff was about 8 GB. Any suggestions?

Ghost creates multiple files to over come this, but I don't know how to grab set up stuff specifically.

Collapse -
Transferring files
by Harvey Palitz / January 13, 2006 1:54 AM PST

Does the Windows transfer program reove files from the old computer or just copy them to the new computer? Specifically, can I copy my wife's sensational iTunes collection to my iTunes program?
Both are Dell laptops with Centrino processers and running XP, SP-2.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.