PC Hardware forum

General discussion

#1 -07 Fail on a drive I need to back up - HELP PLEASE!!

by hedge15 / December 3, 2008 11:14 AM PST

I am running XP media center - I had no viruses and everything is scanned daily. Yesterday I left my laptop only to return to the below...No new software or hardware changes were made and no viruses or malware showed on my daily scan this week...

When Windows XP tries to load, I get the following message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:
Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally.

The only discs I have are the system recovery disc, the application and driver recovery dvd and a full copy of an OLD version of XP - I NEED TO SAVE THE DATA ON THIS HARD DRIVE - I cant lose it and reformat. I used the system recovery disc, then when it asked I canceled out of the disc and it self started chkdsk - 8 of 8 segments unreadable - index $130 file 31 being fixed.

I CANT boot in any of the safe modes or to a previous config. No matter what option I pick, it just loops back to the page with the "We apologize for the inconvenience, but.." options.

I tried a Hard Disk Self Test and got the error #1 -07 Fail, 10 seconds after it started.

I really need the data on this pc so getting a new HD isn't the answer. What is?

I am running an HP Pavilion dv6000 with Windows XP Media Center and a Phoenix bios. The HD is a seagate 80gb momentus s400 2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: #1 -07 Fail on a drive I need to back up - HELP PLEASE!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: #1 -07 Fail on a drive I need to back up - HELP PLEASE!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
boot from disk
by Flaming_VT / December 3, 2008 12:00 PM PST

have you tried to boot from the old copy of XP or from your system restore? you wont want to start a restore or anything but it seems like you just need to be able to access the hardrive to get your files out.

and for the future, i would recommend that you get a backup program and a nice, fat external hdd. 1TBs run for around $200 or less now i think.

Collapse -
1 - 07 Fail
by hedge15 / December 3, 2008 10:31 PM PST

I tried to get to the system restore with no luck.

I have an old copy of XP Pro. If I boot off of the CD, would I still be able to view my HD? I am being extra cautious because I dont want to lose the data. Thanks.

Collapse -
Do it yourself data recovery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 12:58 AM PST

If you are serious about this you remove the hard disk from the machine and put it into some desktop or USB case.

Then you explore data recovery software with titles like:

GETDATABACK
ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY
(many) LINUX BOOT CDs

All found with google but if the files are worth something, this is how its done.
Bob

Collapse -
Vista #1-07 Drive test failure fix
by cibachrome / December 11, 2008 12:07 AM PST

I had this same problem. Other web info suggested a drive failure. I even suspected I would need a new copy of Vista or XP (It came installed on my HP/Compaq).

Here's what worked for me:
I started the computer and went to the diagnostic mode. Message was that Windows could not fix it. Then went to the "Advanced Help" hotspot on the panel and selected "Go to System" (which is a DOS panel). I then went to the C: drive root directory with

C:

then typed

CHKDSK /F /R

to force DOS to try to locate and repair any bad files or clusters.

This took about 45 minutes to complete but located quite a few orphaned files. BTW: You will get a message about CHKDSK not being able to repair because the session is held by another process, but you will get an option to disconnect it. Tell it to disconnect it.

Then, restart the computer. Vista will take longer to restart because it has to rebuild some tables, but eventually it came back to me just fine. Since I had never made a restart/backup disk, I made it my first task to get this done.

I hope this is encouraging to you and you can get it to work again.

Good luck.

Collapse -
#1-07 failure
by hedge15 / December 11, 2008 12:36 AM PST

Thanks for the info - 1 quick question;

You posted "I started the computer and went to the diagnostic mode."

Is the diagnostic mode in the bios or within windows (specifically how do I get there)? Thanks a ton.

Collapse -
CHKDSK /F /R
by sandy_engineer / August 10, 2009 5:03 AM PDT

Hi,
I tried using CHKDSK/F/R command on DOS, but it failed at stage 2 of 5, giving a message "Insufficient disk space to recover lost data"

Collapse -
recovery
by Miller Samuel / October 12, 2009 4:15 AM PDT

Hi,

I think you need a software from critical rescue team will also contain solution to a formatted hard drive recovery.

Pls remind us to send you the link as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.