Windows 7 forum

General discussion

0x0000000d error - Win7 lap can't use printer on XP desktop

by makoti / March 31, 2010 6:38 AM PDT

Hello to all -

I am not sure I'm in the right place. I figure this could go into any one of three forums...
I am trying to set up my Win7 laptop to print off my XP desktop. I have gotten to the point that the laptop can see the desktop and the printer. When I try to connect to the printer, it starts to connect but stops & gives me an error message & code. The code is 0x0000000d. I've done several searches & found a MS fix that requires editing the registry. I did it, and no luck.
I am at wits end. I spent about 3 hours researching this and have nothing to show for it. Anybody got a fix?

Win7 laptop/ XP PRO desktop/ Canon MP620 printer

Thanks!

Sam

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 0x0000000d error - Win7 lap can't use printer on XP desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 0x0000000d error - Win7 lap can't use printer on XP desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
0x0000000d error
by kristain12 / March 31, 2010 9:31 PM PDT

Download a windows 0x0000000d error repair tool and install it. Click the Repair All Button. It will scan you system.

Collapse -
This answer doesn't make any sense.
by Kees Bakker / March 31, 2010 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: 0x0000000d error

Most '0xyyyyyyyy error repair' tools are registry cleaners that are advertised with random error numbers they don't have any knowledge of.

Kees

Collapse -
Question first

Did you install the appropriate Windows 7 driver on the laptop? You cannot just connect it to a shared printer, especially with a different OS, and expect it to work. Sometimes I've gone so far as to install a printer as local, get it working that way, and then change the port.

Collapse -
Latest drivers on computers
by makoti / April 1, 2010 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Question first

According to what I read, the MP620 is supposed to work with 7. But I went ahead and loaded the latest drivers from Canon and the tool that goes with it on both machines (said it's for 7/XP/2000/Vista). It didn't help. In fact, it seems to have tossed a wrench into the laptop seeing the desktop though I can't figure why.
As to installing as a local, are you saying set it up USB first then changing the port? And that works?

Collapse -
I've done it that way, yes
by Steven Haninger / April 1, 2010 8:29 AM PDT

Installing it as a local printer helps rule out some compatibility issues. If you can make it work while hooked up to a USB port on the local device, you know you've got a fair shot of making it work as a network or shared device. If you can't get it to work as a local device, there's no use trying it on the network.

Collapse -
Just so I'm clear
by makoti / April 1, 2010 8:43 AM PDT

I want to hook up the laptop directly to the printer, just like I now have the desktop hooked up. If it does work, then I change the port. What should I change the port to afterwards? LPT1 or something else?
Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
After you have got it working as a local printer
by peacox / April 1, 2010 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so I'm clear

disconnect the USB from the laptop and reconnect to the XP desktop.
Then in Start (the orb) go to Devices and Printers and in the top line select Add a Printer, choose Add a Network etc from the dialogue box and a list of known network printers will showup, choose the share name of the printer you want, it will be in the form \\name of xp system\mp620 or similar, follow the prompts and it should be good to go.
Let us know how you get on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.