Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Building on the Surface Pro 2 released late last year, the Surface Pro 3 is the "tablet...
Apple MacBook Air (13-inch)stars
The 13-inch MacBook Air gets a minor CPU upgrade and $100 price cut, keeping it near the...
Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2013, 15-inch screen)stars
Thanks to new Intel CPUs and upgraded components, the 15-inch MacBook Pro remains a high-end...
Asus Transformer Book T100
The 13.3-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display has the same resolution as a 30-inch monitor. That's 2560x1600 for those who are not aware. This makes it a slightly higher PPI than the 15.4-inch MacBook Pro Retina, although the form factor isn't as impressive.
- USB 3.0: 2
- Video: 2x Thunderbolt, HDMI
- Ethernet: no
- Wireless: dual-band 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0
You don't sacrifice a whole lot dropping from the 15.4 to the 13.3 — at least in terms of connectivity. There are still two USB 3.0 ports, two Thunderbolt ports, an SD card reader, a headset jack and an HDMI port.
Specs are a teensy bit milder. You get a dual core Core i5, rather than a quad core Core i7, and an Intel HD 4000 is left to power the display, as opposed to the 15's GT 650M. We'd have loved to have seen some discrete graphics in the 13 for further flexibility. You still get dual band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 in the mix.
The AU$1899 base model comes with a 2.5GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD. Knocking up a tier to AU$2199 expands the storage option to a 256GB SSD.
Handbrake encoding (in seconds)
- 346Apple MacBook Air 13 Mid 2012 (Core i7 3667U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
- 347Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13 (Core i5 3210M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
- 383Acer Aspire S7 (11.6-inch, Core i7 3517U, 4GB RAM, 2x 128GB SSD RAID 0)
- 386Dell XPS 12 (Core i7 3517U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
- 397Acer Aspire S7 (13.3-inch, Core i7 3517U, 4GB RAM, 2x 64GB SSD RAID 0)
- 484Asus Taichi (Core i5 3317U, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD)
(Shorter bars indicate better performance)