Weekly Utilities Update: IP Scanner, Spanning Tools, TimeMachineEditor, more...
Time Machine is an exceptionally useful backup system, but its limitations can be frustrating to some users. While it is built to run regularly in the background and not impede on users' work, some people may wish to prevent it from running at certain
Written by Topher Kessler
Staff Pick: TimeMachineEditor
Time Machine is an exceptionally useful backup system, but its limitations can be frustrating to some users. While it is built to run regularly in the background and not impede on users' work, some people may wish to prevent it from running at certain times or customize the intervals in which it runs.
While you can do this customization by editing the Time Machine preferences files, using a utility like TimeMachineEditor is far more convenient. The utility is simple and straightforward, and allows for fine tuned adjustments of the Time Machine backup times.
TimeMachineEditor has been updated to version 2.2, adding support for the upcoming Snow Leopard OS and making Time Machine logs available from the "Window" menu. You can grab the latest version from the developer's site: http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/
Other Recent Utility Updates:
- OpenGL Extensions Viewer 3.14 - Displays OpenGL accelerator info.
- Springy 1.5.6 - Archive/compress: zip, tar, dmg, iso, pax, cpio, gzip, bzip2, z, rar, sit, jar, ear, war.
- IP Scanner 2.34 - Displays machines, Mac users, IPs on a local network.
- DaisyDisk 1.3.5 - Visualize disk usage and free up space by finding & deleting big, useless files.
- Firewall Builder 3.0.6 - Firewall configuration & management system.
- The Unarchiver 2.0 RC2 - Unarchive ZIP, TAR, RAR, and 7-zip files.
- Spanning Tools 1.01 - Analyzes problems with iCal, Address Book, Apple Sync Services.