Flatulent cows make shed explode, report says

Methane gas from 90 cows comes together with a static electric charge to cause a lot of damage.

Danger. Gas emissions. Compassion in World Farming/YouTube screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET

I understand that cows are largely to blame for global warming.

However, I never imagined that the seemingly life-weary animals had an explosion in them.

Life has a way of surprising you, so I am fascinated to learn that the anal emissions of 90 cows are said to have caused a fire in a German shed.

As Reuters reports, these cows were cooped up together and the products of their flatulence had nowhere to emerge.

The methane gas built up until, according to the local police in Rasdorf: "a static electric charge caused the gas to explode with flashes of flames."

I wonder whether the cows felt as proud as little boys who try this trick (with a match, rather than static electricity) at scout camp.

The report suggests that one cow was burned in the act and the roof of the shed suffered damage.

The image of the bemused cows after the big bang is rather stuck in my mind. However, my powers of transference somehow allow my thoughts to drift toward Washington, DC.

It is, perhaps, astonishing that the amount of gas that is emitted in Congress hasn't yet affected its physical structure.

I feel sure that, given the static electricity that must build up with all the fancy clothing that congresspeople wear, local fire chiefs should warn of the potential hazards.


Discuss Flatulent cows make shed explode, report...

Conversation powered by Livefyre

This week on CNET News
Hot Products
Trending on CNET

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.