LAS VEGAS--Last year, Panasonic showed its SC-ZT1 wireless home theater system and it got a nod as a Best of CES 2009 finalist in the home audio category. At CES 2010, Panasonic has announced the next generation, the SC-ZT2, pairing it down to only two pole-like speakers and adding pass-through support for 3D video. Here are the announced features.
Key features of the Panasonic SC-ZT2:
- Wireless audio/receiver package with two pole-like speakers
- Pass-through 3D video support (which implies HDMI 1.4)
- Virtual surround sound from two speakers
- 5-inch subwoofers built into the cylindrical base
- Onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
- Return audio channel over HDMI support (also implies HDMI 1.4)
- Available in June 2010; no pricing announced
We didn't get a chance to review the SC-ZT1 last year, but the more minimalist two-speaker setup makes more sense to us for the style-conscious buyers this system will appeal to. We're also assuming the SC-ZT2 supports HDMI 1.4 (still trying to confirm with Panasonic), which is good future-proof protection in case you want to upgrade to 3D Blu-ray down the road.