Late last year, Pure, a global company based in the U.K., released a family of Internet-connected radios overseas. Now it's bringing them to the U.S. market.
While the company is offering several products, including the Evoke Flow, Sirocco 550, Siesta Flow, and Oasis Flow, it's highlighting the distinctly designed Sensia, which features a 5.7-inch color touch screen and costs around $350.
The company says its digital and Internet-connected range of radios work together with Pure's proprietary radio and media portal, the Pure Lounge, which "enables a two-way flow of information between the radio, the portal, and the broadcaster." While the radios and the Lounge function on their own, when combined they enhance the user-experience by enabling "the organization of favorite stations into shared folders and automatically syncing content choices on both the radio and the portal."
It's also worth noting that the Pure Lounge also contains custom content such as Pure Sounds, a library of over 100 sounds that are designed "to allow the listener to set the perfect mood or even help their child go to sleep." The company hopes to release additional unique and premium content in the near future and new features and services will be made available on radios through automatic software upgrades.
Pure appears to share something in common with the Chumby, but we'll have to wait and see how the apps and services pan out before we make any more comparisons.
You can check out Pure's current product lineup on its Web site and here's a brief overview of the Sensia's specs:
- 5.7-inch high resolution 640x480 pixel color, capacitive glass touch screen
- Comes in four colors: black, white, red, or yellow
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Optional Ethernet dongle accessory connects via the Mini-USB port on the back of the radio
- Powered by the Pure Lounge
- Connect Sensia to the Pure Lounge and save and share favorites between the radio and the Lounge
- Apps for weather, Facebook and Twitter, with more to come
- Station slideshows via Wi-Fi or optional Ethernet dongle accessory (will be available on FM and Internet radio stations with the USA software update where supplied by the broadcaster)
- Clearsound technology
- FM with RDS
- 3.5mm input for iPod/iPhone or Pure's i-10TM dock for iPod (optional accessory)
- Optional portable ChargePAK available as an accessory
- Alarm, countdown, and sleep timers
- Headphone jack
- Matching RF remote control (allows users to control the device from up to 10 yards away without direct line-of-sight)
- Comes with an adjustable tilt stand
- Price: Around $350