Starting Saturday, August 1, we'll begin to see many new applications appearing on the Android Market. We reported several weeks ago on the second Google Android Developers Challenge (ADC2), and August 1 is the day submissions begin. The official launch of the MyTouch 3G on August 5 should also reveal some new apps.
To be eligible for ADC2 and a chance at the $2 million dollar prize, applications must be submitted during August. Because any app that was published to the Android Market prior to August 1 is ineligible for the contest, several developers have chosen to conduct private betas so they could get user feedback before the competition began.
I've been lucky enough to participate in several betas for some exciting new apps. Hollowire has been hard at work on Open Gesture and is planning a public release early next week. Its app provides gesture controls similar to what we have seen demonstrated with Donut.
ChickenBrick Studios is another developer planning to enter ADC2 with its new game code-named ProjectInf. It's a massive multiplayer game with social aspects that looks promising in its early stages.
Google has since posted new terms and conditions which clarify the voting process. On August 31, the submission period will end, and public voting begins. Google will release an application to the Market that allows users to randomly download, review, and score the the entries. Community members will judge the apps based on the following criteria.
- Originality of Concept Does the application introduce a great new idea; for example, a new angle on social applications?
- Effective Use of the Android Platform Does the application take advantage of Android's unique and compelling features, such as built-in location-based services, accelerometer, and always-on networking?
- Polish and Appeal Is the application easy to use and aesthetically appealing?
- Indispensability Is the application compelling and essential, such as a game the user just can't put down or a utility she can't live without?
When public voting is complete, a panel of judges selected by Google will rate the apps. The official rules have been tweaked so that the community judges make up 40 percent of the vote while the expert judges account for the remaining 60 percent.
In addition to new apps for ADC2, be on the lookout when the myTouch 3G hits store shelves. There's a host of new apps they are recommending with their official AppPack. Sherpa was one of those new apps that debuted early, but more are coming. Facebook has confirmed they are launching an Android app, and this might be the day when we finally see it.