Today we're exploring the trend of digital vigilantes (aka digilantes) taking to the Internet for crowdsourced criminal identification and cyberjustice. The most recent example is the hacker collective known as Anonymous' YouTube video threatening to take down Facebook on November 5, otherwise known as Guy Fawkes Day.
We'll also fill you in on the London police toying with facial recognition technology on Facebook to identify looters caught on camera, yesterday's 5,000 percent spike in blunt weapons sales on Amazon.co.uk, and a woman who used an airplane to wag a giant finger at Wall Street.
The 404 Digest for Episode 879
Ep. 879: Where we remember remember
- Anonymous: Facebook's going down November 5.
- Will London's police officials turn to Facebook's facial recognition technology to fight crime?
- Sales of aluminum bats are up more than 5,000 percent on Amazon.co.uk.
- The USB toothbrush: Philips' device is the "iPod of toothbrushes."
- Angry Birds makes it onto the cover of Mad Magazine.
- Airplane banner circles Wall Street: "Thanks For The Downgrade. You Should All Be Fired"
Subscribe in iTunes (audio) | Subscribe in iTunes (video) | Subscribe in RSS Audio | Subscribe in RSS Video