south korea

Hackers reportedly release data on U.S. troops in Korea

South Korean news agencies and security officials say that cybercriminals have leaked the personal data of members of the U.S. military.

On Tuesday, South Korea suffered its latest round of cyberattacks on the day that marked the beginning of the Korean war 63 years ago. The South Korean Science Ministry confirmed that multiple government and private sites were affected. The Central News Agency, party newspaper Rodong Sinmun, national airline Air Koryo, and the presidential Blue House site were among those that experienced service outages.

Following the attack, Reuters reported that the cybercriminals involved claim to have publicly released the … Read more

'Bridge of Life' projects messages to prevent suicides

Of all the countries in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, South Korea has by far the highest suicide rate -- 28.4 per 100,000 people per year according to the OECD, making it the most common cause of death for people under 40.

And one bridge over the Han River, the Mapo Bridge, has been dubbed the Bridge of Death for its unfortunate popularity among those seeking to end their own life. Between 2007 and 2012, more than 100 people attempted suicide from the Mapo Bridge.

To try to counteract the number of deaths from the bridge, the Seoul City government didn't build a high fence or suicide barrier; instead, it teamed with Samsung Life Insurance to take a different path, adding interactive handrails that speak directly to passersby. … Read more

South Korean Web sites hit by hackers

South Korea has suffered its latest cyberattack, and one that marked the 63rd anniversary of the start of the Korean War.

The country's science ministry said that multiple government and private sites were hit in Tuesday's hacking, the Associated Press has reported. Included in the attack were the site for the country's presidential Blue House and several media servers.

The South Korean government said that it's investigating further and has urged officials and citizens to secure their computer systems, the AP added.

No potential suspects were named in the attack. But North Korea would likely top … Read more

Facebook looking to partner with Samsung?

During Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's whirlwind Asia tour, he stopped by the offices of Samsung this week for a quick meeting with the company's president, Shin Jong Kyun.

After the meeting, Shin stopped to talk to reporters and said that the two discussed potential partnerships, according to Bloomberg. The partnerships would reportedly center on advancing mobile-advertising sales.

Facebook has been long pushing to boost advertising on mobile. In April, the social network debuted Facebook Home, which is a family of mobile apps and a social-networking-focused skin that runs over Android in smartphones like HTC's One and Samsung'… Read more

The 404 1,268: Where we buy beats behind bars (podcast)

Leaked from today's 404 episode:

- The future of television lies in the greasy, gaming hands of the "lost boy generation."

- "Pinterest stress" is a real problem for moms who worry they're not crafty or creative enough.

- The source of Pinterest stress is probably sites like Lunchbox Awesome, a year-long project from an overachieving mom.

- The digital music business in America's prisons.

- NSA's secret Google tricks revealed in declassified guidebook.… Read more

Anonymous again hacks into North Korean Web sites

Anonymous is once again trying to raise the hackles of North Korea by hacking into one of the country's official news sites.

For the second time this month, the North Korean news and information site Uriminzokkiri.com has been taken down. Trying to access the site today delivers an eventual timeout error. In the official Twitter account for Uriminzokkiri, which Anonymous took over earlier this month, the group tweeted that "more of North Korean websites are in our hand. They will be brought down."

North Korean Web sites minjok.com, jajusasang.com, and paekdu-hanna.com had also … Read more

North Korea behind March cyberattack, says South Korea

South Korea has accused North Korea of launching a recent cyberattack that hit tens of thousands of PCs.

A spokesman for South Korea's Internet agency said today that six computers in North Korea were identified as the source of the attack, according to The Guardian. Those computers used more than 1,000 IP addresses from across the world to infect 48,000 PCs and servers at South Korean banks and broadcasting stations.

The spokesman told the Associated Press that the attack mimicked past hacking attempts by North Korea and pointed the finger at an espionage agency run by the military. … Read more

South Korean cyberattack may not have come from China

South Korea apparently still has a mystery on its hands. Who launched a cyberattack against several of its banks and broadcasters this week?

Regulators for the country initially pointed the finger at China, saying that the attacks originated from a Chinese IP address. But they admitted today that they jumped the gun.

The IP address used in the attack was actually traced to one of the banks hit on Wednesday. South Korea's NongHyup Bank had been using the address as a virtual one for its internal network, according to Reuters. By coincidence, that address matched one registered in China.… Read more

South Korea traces cyberattack to IP address in China

The cyberattack that targeted banks, TV broadcasters, and an Internet service provider in South Korea yesterday originated from an IP address in China, but the identities of the people responsible remain unknown, South Korean regulators say.

"We've identified that a Chinese IP has connected to the organizations affected," a spokesman for South Korea's Communications Commission told a press conference on Thursday, according to a Reuters account of the event.

The revelation comes a day after a massive coordinated attack on servers in South Korea led officials to raise the alert status for the nation's army … Read more

South Korea probes 'massive' cyberattack

South Korea's police are currently investigating a "massive" hack attack on Internet service provider LG Uplus, which led to server outages at three domestic broadcasters and two major banks.

As a result, the army raised its alert status amid concerns the attacks were initiated by its neighbors in North Korea.

Reuters reported Wednesday that authorities were looking into the attack on LG Uplus, which was suspected to be conducted by a group calling itself the "Whois Team".

The investigations were triggered by disrupted servers at television networks YTN, MBC and KBS. Customers at Shinhan Bank … Read more