softbank

SoftBank said to win FCC approval for Sprint deal

SoftBank's bid for Sprint Nextel has reportedly won the support it needs from the Federal Communications Commission, the last regulatory approval necessary to complete the $21.6 billion deal.

Two of three members of the FCC have signed off on the deal, sources familiar with the matter told Bloomberg. That approval reportedly extends to Sprint's buyout of mobile broadband provider Clearwire.

CNET has contacted SoftBank and Sprint for comment and will update this report when we learn more.

Following a bidding war with Dish Network, Sprint shareholders overwhelmingly voted last week to approve an offer from Japan's … Read more

SoftBank: Our Sprint bid is better for this reason -- TD-LTE

Softbank CEO Masayoshi Son says his company's $20.1 billion acquisition offer is best for Sprint, even though Dish Nework's bid is higher.

Speaking Tuesday at an event in Tokyo, Son told reporters the LTE network efficiencies that his company can bring to Sprint would dramatically improve the value of Sprint's network to customers. And that's all because of an LTE variant that Softbank already uses, called TD-LTE.

Softbank has been using TD-LTE for quite some time, and as Son points out, it's doing so in Japan "on a large scale."

TD (Time … Read more

Sprint forms special committee to review Dish proposal

Sprint is at least wiling to consider a proposal that Dish Network made recently to acquire its business.

Sprint today announced that it has formed a "special committee" made up of several of its board members, including Larry Glasscock, who will serve as the committee's chairman. The committee's charge is simple: to review the deal offered last week by Dish to determine if it's superior to the one already brought by Japan-based Softbank.

Last October, Japan-based Softbank announced that it would invest $20.1 billion into Sprint. A large portion of that -- $12.1 … Read more

Softbank confident of Sprint deal, despite Dish's $25B bid

Calling Dish Network's rival bid for Sprint Nextel "highly conditional," Softbank said tonight it is going ahead with its merger proposal for the troubled carrier and expects to close the deal this summer.

The satellite TV provider submitted a merger proposal this morning valued at $25.5 billion, a 13 percent premium over the Japanese wireless carrier's merger proposal, which offered $20.1 billion for a controlling stake in Sprint.

"Softbank believes that the agreed terms of our transaction with Sprint offer Sprint shareholders superior short- and long-term benefits to Dish's highly conditional preliminary … Read more

Dish launches $25B bid for Sprint

Dish Network has submitted a merger proposal for Sprint Nextel valued at $25.5 billion, putting itself into competition with Japan's Softbank to take over the wireless carrier.

Dish announced this morning that it is offering Sprint shareholders a total consideration of $25.5 billion, consisting of $17.3 billion in cash and $8.2 billion in stock. Sprint shareholders would receive $7 per share, and the cash and stock combination would represent a 13 percent premium to the value of the existing SoftBank proposal, according to Dish.

"The Dish proposal clearly presents Sprint shareholders with a superior … Read more

Sprint, Softbank vow not to use Huawei gear in Sprint's network

In response to national security concerns, Sprint Nextel and Softbank pledged not to incorporate gear from Huawei Technologies into Sprint's network core, the chairman of the House intelligence committee said today.

Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), chairman of the committee, said he had met with representatives from both companies and was assured that equipment from the Chinese telecommunications gear maker would not be used in the U.S. cellular infrastructure. As a condition for approving Softbank's $20 billion acquisition of Sprint, the U.S. government was reportedly seeking oversight of network equipment purchases to exclude equipment from Huawei and … Read more

U.S. approval of Sprint-Softbank deal may hinge on China

As a condition for approving Softbank's $20 billion acquisition of Sprint Nextel, the U.S. government is seeking oversight of network equipment purchases to prevent gear from Chinese suppliers Huawei Technologies and ZTE from becoming part of the U.S. infrastructure, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The two companies have already attracted the criticism of the U.S. House Intelligence Committee, which released a report last October that accused Chinese telecommunications gear makers of being threats to U.S. security and that discouraged U.S. companies from buying their equipment. In January, the U.S. Department of Justice … Read more

DOJ asks FCC to defer Softbank-Sprint deal, cites 'national security'

The U.S. Department of Justice has asked the Federal Communications Commission to defer a proposed deal in which Japan-based Softbank would acquire a 70 percent stake in Sprint.

In a letter sent to the FCC and dated yesterday, attorney advisor Jennifer Rockoff, with the Justice Department's National Security Division, asked that the deal be put on ice for now.

The DOJ, the Department of Homeland Security, and the FBI "are currently reviewing this matter for any national security, law enforcement, and public safety issues but have not yet completed that effort," she wrote. &… Read more

Dish Network to FCC: Pause the Sprint-Softbank merger review

Dish Network has asked the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to pause its review of Softbank's proposed $20.1 billion acquisition of Sprint.

When Japanese carrier Softbank acquired a 70 percent stake in Sprint in October, it provided Sprint with the cash to acquire the Clearwire shares it didn't already own. Sprint has been floundering in the cellular market for some time, and made the Clearwire bid to acquire greater spectrum and more customers.

Sprint offered to buy remaining Clearwire shares for $2.90 apiece. Softbank then capped the bid at $2.97 per share and wouldn't … Read more

Mobile: 10 predictions for 2013

If nothing else, 2012 has shown that the mobile industry is a pretty tough business to be in.

Many handset manufacturers, wireless carriers, and component suppliers felt the pressures of mobile business sink in, and as a result, there were a lot of shake-ups this year.

The same pressures and competitive dynamics are expected to persist next year, so expect a lot more action. The following predictions are based on conversations with industry sources over the last few months, market trends, speculation, and a little wishful thinking.

One thing's for sure, the industry should keep us all on our … Read more