Leaked from today's 404 episode:
- Did RIM just stage this BlackBerry 10 "leak"?
- Do we need this? Kohler shower head doubles as a wireless speaker.
- Dude builds OSX into old Macintosh Portable, let's talk about RETRO OBSESSION.
- Bionic mannequins spy on shoppers to boost sales.
Bathroom break video: One of the best couples Halloween costumes ever recorded.Episode 1,169
We're back, and just in time for the holiday shopping season! Welcome to the pre-Black Friday episode of Always On: the unboxing extravaganza.
This episode alone features Google's two new pure-Android Nexus devices -- the LG Nexus 4 and the Nexus 10 tablet. I so wanted to love the Nexus 4, since I'm definitely in the market for a pure-Android device, but I'm skeptical (as is our CNET reviewer, Lynn La) about the lack of 4G LTE in the unlocked model. Then again, I don't have to sit around worrying about it since the phone … Read more
The Netflix CEO gave an interview to Dow Jones today in which he said Amazon is losing between $500 million and a $1 billion a year as a result of acquiring rights to streaming video content.
In the interview, Hastings said he came up with the numbers after comparing the value of the content deals Amazon won when the two companies directly competed for rights.
No doubt, it's an expensive business and Hastings should know given that … Read more
Jeff Bezos, who has run Amazon at a loss the past two quarters has been dubbed Fortune's businessperson of 2012.Amazon's quirky CEO has worried Wall Street by spending heavily on new warehouses and employees for the holiday rush and investing in new business overseas. The spending alone wouldn't be cause for concern had the company been able to turn a profit these days.
After several years in the black, Amazon posted losses over the past two quarters. For the third quarter ended September, the retail giant lost $274 million, compared with a net profit of $63 … Read more
Jeff Bezos is the master of ecommerce, but is he ready to take on Walmart and others in the brick-and-mortar world?
In conversation with Charlie Rose, Bezos addressed the question.
We would love to but only if we can have a truly differentiated idea. We don't do a me-too product offering very well. When I look at physical retail stores, it's very well served. The people who operate physical retail stores are very good at it. The question we would always have before we would embark on such an thing is what's the idea, what would … Read more
Leaked from today's 404 episode:
- NY Times posts violent takedown review of Guy Fieri's new restaurant in Times Square, New York.
- Travel Channel's Anthony Bourdain rips into Guy Fieri.
- Guy Fieri's last name isn't really Fieri.
- How Sony is turning into a ghost in Japan and around the world.
- Seriously though, how cool is this vintage Sony Sports transistor radio?
- Head to Sonyvintage.com for more photos and specs on vintage Sony hi-fi products.
- Japanese photo booth 3D prints mini models of an entire human being.
Bathroom break video: Grand Theft Auto V gets a new trailer and screenshots.… Read more
The show title isn't just an SEO play, we actually have five copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 to give away on the system of your choice (Wii U, Xbox 360, or PS3). Just follow us on Twitter and tell us your best 404-related box art parody name--use this one as an example, and don't forget to use the hash tag #404COD!… Read more
Questions answered on today's episode of The 404 Show:
- What's the point of having an LCD screen and buttons on my credit card?